Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stock making aspiration - a question of tools

stock making aspiration - a question of tools

Although I am happy to pay for custom stocks on my guns I have just forked out for 2 and don't have the cash to get something for the other half's HW101. So I got to thinking I could try making something myself

Now I have an above average selection of tools for someone who is not in the trade or a serious hobbyist. I have. Decent jigsaw, 1/4 router, circ saw, random orbit sander, multi cutter, cordless drill / driver and SDS pluabdrill and a dremel. Add to that decent drill and router bits, chisels, coping Shaw has etc etc

Now I do not have a scroll or band saw and at this stage o just don't have the space to buy any new power tools (1 bed maisonette). So I am after some advice as to if its possible with what I have or is the lack of band saw / scroll saw a dwap breaker??

Oh and I was planning on using poplar

I aspire to the same idea.

Having read some good essays on the internet, it seems the first thing you need is your stock blank cut / planed or whatever - to be nice and square all around. I thought of paying a joinery shop for doing that with their large tools (fnark).

Next is inletting the blank for the action. Having the factory stock & action to hand should make this possible. Remembering to drill the hole(s) for the stock fixing(s) while the blank is still square.

Then it's just the ten or so minutes whittling to turn the inletted plank into a stock!

I deffinatly don't have the space for a planner thicknesser so would need to find a nice square and true blank.

My little 1/4 inch router should be able to handle the inletting - may just require a few more passes at shallower incriments.

Its the "10 minutes or so whittling" I am concerned about.

stock making

I've just completed my second stock and one of the best investments I've made is a little drum sander kit from screw fix

(http://www.screwfix.com/p/rubber-dru...tid=252291#_=p)

I found this so useful for rounding the pistol grip and for roughing out areas of timber.

The only thing i'd say about a 1/4" shank router is that you may find you struggle with obtaining enough depth of cut in some cases. I was on the limit with a 1/2" shank 63mm long twin flute cutter at times.

hope this helps.

eggie

audiguypaul is offline Has been known to sneeze at mice
    So you buy 2 custom made stocks for yourself, and then offer to knock one up for the Mrs in the shed, how on earth did you get away with that

atb Paul
    AA s510 .177 Zeiss conquest 3.5-10x44. AA s510 .22 Mamba Lite 4-16x44 diy NV.
    AA TX200 177 WD Tune Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40. HW99s .22 WD Tune Meopta 6x42 4a

Quote Originally Posted by Petay View Post
    Its the "10 minutes or so whittling" I am concerned about.
    I'd consult the internet for examples of existing custom stock designs.

Do lots of drawing, and end up with a full-size outline of what I want on a piece of card.

Cut it out, then draw around it to transfer the outline to the blank.

Then cut it out!... I imagine it'd be tempting to make it over-size, but important square cuts need to be made to size (i.e. at the butt and under the forend), while the blank is still 'flat' on at least one side...

If it were me, I'd guess something would go very badly wrong at some stage. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

So I wouldn't be buying any 5* walnut blanks to begin with

thanks for all the pointers guys. I have access to a 1/2 router should i need it. just need to find a decent blank at a decent price now

Most timber places will have loads of the correct machines needed..

first decide what you want timber type grade etc .. then let them supply you a blank in the required size thickness etc..

you can then draw of the required shape and either cut it out with a bandsaw or get them to do it.

machining for the action is easier with a router and the required correct bit.. but is better done on a router table usually so again might be better to get this done.

then you get to do all the fun shaping bits yourself..

you thinking a wood or laminate blank

I have made a stck that I'm quite happy with using less tools than you have. The router was essential for the fitting of the gun but saw, rasp, files and a drill did the rest. Have a go.

Good thread.

What type of powerfile do you use markyboy?

Quote Originally Posted by micken View Post
    Good thread.

What type of powerfile do you use markyboy?
    I use a black and decker, makes shaping a lot easier with one.

Mark.
    Last edited by markyboy; 03-11-2014 at 09:13 AM.

Thumbs up

I'm hoping to get a few hours to myself tomorrow to actually get at least one of my rifles stocks started weather permitting the tools are at hand and ready for some sawdust making
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Quote Originally Posted by markyboy View Post
    I use a black and decker, makes shaping a lot easier with one.
    This is the last stock I made for my mfr and took me around 10 hours to do.
    http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...pswqp8hpuv.jpg
    http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...psiqf48wkk.jpg

Mark.
    Stunning work again there, Mark - well done mate
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

I'd echo the points about getting a good square blank to start with You end up with quite a bit of waste but for me it makes the likes of drilling holes as part of the inletting much easier.

Some rifles are easier to inlet than others. Springers for me take quite a bit more time than PCP's.

I also use a powerfile like Mark for some of the shaping.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-903...ales%20trackin

Powerfiles remove a lot of material very quickly, so I wouldn't recomend using one for your first attempt. Buy a dremel instead

The more machinery you have, the better IMHO

Get a good router too

One I'm busy with atm...

AA s410 KT .177 HW100T .177 BSA R10 .177 Theoben MFR.20 . Webley Alecto.
    Geordie.....

Many thanks to markyboy and Geordie for sharing. Love both your work lads, real class and craftsmanship.

Cheers,

Mick