Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stock making aspiration - a question of tools

Quote Originally Posted by gb68 View Post
    I'd echo the points about getting a good square blank to start with You end up with quite a bit of waste but for me it makes the likes of drilling holes as part of the inletting much easier.

Some rifles are easier to inlet than others. Springers for me take quite a bit more time than PCP's.

I also use a powerfile like Mark for some of the shaping.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-903...ales%20trackin

Powerfiles remove a lot of material very quickly, so I wouldn't recomend using one for your first attempt. Buy a dremel instead

The more machinery you have, the better IMHO

Get a good router too

One I'm busy with atm...

Funnily enough I just picked up a new dremel in b&q after my old machine mart offering died. Seems b&q had a prove mix up so I took adavantage. But of arguing with a short manager but got my £20 off in the end.

Sounds like I need to invest in a 1/2 router as the 1/4 makita may struggle by all accounts. Would a screwfix special erbauerbe worth it of do I need need to spend more? Maybe £200 absolte Max budget +could borrow one but any excuse to buy a tool )

If I was going to make a stock for the first time I would practice on a lump of floor joist 7x3 or 9x3. You will get a cut off cheap from your local builders yard, I would also invest in a good vice and work bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Petay View Post
    Funnily enough I just picked up a new dremel in b&q after my old machine mart offering died. Seems b&q had a prove mix up so I took adavantage. But of arguing with a short manager but got my £20 off in the end.

Sounds like I need to invest in a 1/2 router as the 1/4 makita may struggle by all accounts. Would a screwfix special erbauerbe worth it of do I need need to spend more? Maybe £200 absolte Max budget +could borrow one but any excuse to buy a tool )
    When I started I used an erbauer, they aint bad for the price, I then bought a Makita rp2301, much better machine but a lot more cost.
    AA s410 KT .177 HW100T .177 BSA R10 .177 Theoben MFR.20 . Webley Alecto.
    Geordie.....

I finished this one a short while ago,

apart from the usual power tools most use i've found an angle grinder with sanding disc useful (though very hungry) good for removing stock quickly.A block plane or spoke shave is useful after the grinder to smooth which reduces sanding time.

Also for shaping around the grip my latest acquisition i have is a "microplane" round rasp, you can get quite arty with this as it's very controllable.

Atb,Woody.

Really nice stock there Woody.

What woods do you favour for easy working and where do you source them from?

I have a lump of chestnut in my garage, has been there for three years now and seems quite dry, but it is a log. Was thinking of squaring it off and using that.

Only ever used plywood for previous attempts, would like to try one with real timber.

T
    :: Freelance Designer ::

Today, I broke my personal record for most consecutive days lived.

I used beech for my first stock attempt, never again as it was very hard work, I now use American black walnut from my local timber yard or coloured laminate.
    I have seen a few people try with poplar wood but have never used it so can't comment on how easy it is to work with.

Mark

Looking good Woody, I like the look of that timber.
    AA s410 KT .177 HW100T .177 BSA R10 .177 Theoben MFR.20 . Webley Alecto.
    Geordie.....

Quote Originally Posted by TDes View Post
    What woods do you favour for easy working and where do you source them from?

I have a lump of chestnut in my garage, has been there for three years now and seems quite dry, but it is a log. Was thinking of squaring it off and using that.

Only ever used plywood for previous attempts, would like to try one with real timber.

T
    Thanks Micken, Cheers Geordie i still aspire to your level of craftsmanship .

To TDes, for easy working try walnut, one reason it's widely used! though not that cheap anymore.
    Though cheap, don't use beech as Mark has stated, there is a reason it is used for butchers blocks and work tops,.
    Chestnut would be ok,though wood can go "over" and be too dry if left too long! My favourite for cost and working is ash can be had for only £10 a blank if bought in longer lengths,cheap to practise on.
    Fruit woods are common, apple,maple,yellow birch,cherry can be used.Nuts=walnut,pecan,almond if you can find big pieces. would like to do an olive stock but will never find a big enough piece
    Rosewood,mahogany/sapelle are good for grip caps etc.

Hope this helps,pm me if you want any help, Atb,Woody.