Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfecta model 76

Perfecta model 76

Hi. I'm looking for information on an air rifle I've owned for around 30+ years.
    Its marked CAL 4.5mm PERFECTA F MODEL 76 MADE IN GT. BRITAIN. (The F is in a pentagon)
    Any information would be appreciated.

Don't know anything about the actual rifle but Airgun Blue Book says " Perfecta was a brand name for spring piston airguns made by Oskar Will of Zella Mehlis, Germany in the 1920's for the Midland Gun Company of Birmingham."

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I've only seen that F + Pentagon marking on German made guns (and of a certain period), so the above post 'nails it' IMO.

2 whole posts in x years !! (and a 'choice name' too boot) join in more :-)

Pentagon still stamped on German market rifles for there power limit.

As mentioned, the F in pentagon is to do with German power limits since circa 1971. But since pre-War rifles were sometimes retrospectively so marked (indicating they were under about 7 foot pounds), the 'F' mark is no indicator of the original age.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    As mentioned, the F in pentagon is to do with German power limits since circa 1971. But since pre-War rifles were sometimes retrospectively so marked (indicating they were under about 7 foot pounds), the 'F' mark is no indicator of the original age.
    Also it is worth noting that the "F in pentagon" symbol is no guarantee that the gun was made in Germany, as the German air gun distributor Umarex sold some imported guns with this symbol on for the German market. For example, there are German-sold Harrington Gats and Milbro SP50 pistols carry this symbol. "Perfecta" was in fact a Umarex brand name and the SP50 was marked with this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Also it is worth noting that the "F in pentagon" symbol is no guarantee that the gun was made in Germany, as the German air gun distributor Umarex sold some imported guns with this symbol on for the German market. For example, there are German-sold Harrington Gats and Milbro SP50 pistols carry this symbol. "Perfecta" was in fact a Umarex brand name and the SP50 was marked with this.
    The Perfecta SP50 was a revived more modern use of the name.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

wheels within wheels

F Pentagon symbol.

My understanding was this mark was only applied to guns sold after Jan 1970 within Germany and that it is/was quite legal for a German person () to own a/any guns without that symbol provided they were purchased before the cut-off date (1971). Qutie why anyone would go to the trouble of stamping the symbol on an older gun for which the German Law did not apply (usually on the barrel breech) is beyond me - maybe it is applied to guns that are later re-sold through the gun trade.

It is not nor has ever been a requirement on all guns Made in Germany just those offered for sale there. Export guns are unaffected (esp. stamped Made in Gt Britain!)

Possible makers

Oskar Will as a company sold out to Vespa (was it, something like that) who proceeded with the Will trade name somewhat until 1945 - there we can assume the whole thing died, certainly did in the few years after WW11, as we know. (so it ceased to be in 1945!).

Umarex was formed in 1972 and does have a 'Perfecta' range
    http://www.umarex.com/de/airguns/marken/perfecta.html

What we know

OP has owned the gun for 30+ years

Oskar Will did not stamp the F mark on their guns

Umarex do not make (and mark) guns in 'Gt Britain' although they may have done early in their history, it seems very unlikely given the period in question 1970-1984. Maybe they made a Umarex/Perfecta 76 which appeared in the UK between '70 & '80 but why put an F mark on an export gun and why the 'Made in Gt Britain' stamp

So, lets see if the Midland Gun Company had any dealings with Umarex -
    http://www.birminghamgunmuseum.com/i...nd_Gun_Company

Err, NO.

Quote Originally Posted by DSidelever View Post
    F Pentagon symbol.

My understanding was this mark was only applied to guns sold after Jan 1970 within Germany and that it is/was quite legal for a German person () to own a/any guns without that symbol provided they were purchased before the cut-off date (1971). Qutie why anyone would go to the trouble of stamping the symbol on an older gun for which the German Law did not apply (usually on the barrel breech) is beyond me - maybe it is applied to guns that are later re-sold through the gun trade.

It is not nor has ever been a requirement on all guns Made in Germany just those offered for sale there. Export guns are unaffected (esp. stamped Made in Gt Britain!)

Possible makers

Oskar Will as a company sold out to Vespa (was it, something like that) who proceeded with the Will trade name somewhat until 1945 - there we can assume the whole thing died, certainly did in the few years after WW11, as we know. (so it ceased to be in 1945!).

Umarex was formed in 1972 and does have a 'Perfecta' range
    http://www.umarex.com/de/airguns/marken/perfecta.html

What we know

OP has owned the gun for 30+ years

Oskar Will did not stamp the F mark on their guns

Umarex do not make (and mark) guns in 'Gt Britain' although they may have done early in their history, it seems very unlikely given the period in question 1970-1984. Maybe they made a Umarex/Perfecta 76 which appeared in the UK between '70 & '80 but why put an F mark on an export gun and why the 'Made in Gt Britain' stamp

So, lets see if the Midland Gun Company had any dealings with Umarex -
    http://www.birminghamgunmuseum.com/i...nd_Gun_Company

Err, NO.

I fully agree with your analysis and the fact that Umarex do not make guns in Great Britain, but the evidence does suggest that Umarex were happy to import guns from the UK marked as being made there, while at the same time marking them with own brand name and with the F-mark. As an example, look at this Gat from the 1980’s-90’s. The left hand side http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps5f8039cc.jpg is marked with the maker Harrington and the country of origin, England, and the right hand side http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps226a79c4.jpg is marked Umarex and shows the F-symbol. This particular gun was sold in the USA and so was presumably an import from Germany.

I strongly suspect that Baldrig’s gun will turn out to be a UK-made Milbro air rifle from the 1980’s, which was manufactured to order for Umarex. As part of the deal Milbro would have incorporated the Perfecta brand name and the F-symbol for Umarex, much as Harrington did with the illustrated Gat. A pic of the gun in question would be a big help.
    Last edited by ccdjg; 26-10-2014 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks for all the information, it looks like a bit of a mystery, can't believe no-one has one. I'll sort out some pictures as soon as my camera's fixed.
    Incidentally I've just noticed on the rubber recoil pad (yes recoil pad) the name WORK CASE REACTING in a circle with GUN in the centre.

Could be the Milbro Diana G80air rifle, which was made by Milbro in the early 1980's, as (I think) it was the only one of their range that had a recoil pad.

Sounds even more interesting

'Work Case Reacting' sounds rather archaic + the fact that the OP thinks it unusual in having a recoil pad (surely most new guns of the late '70s - early '8os had these as standard).

However, 'work case reacting' might only relate to the pad itself (poss. bought-in part).

Something found on the WWW

Which is very interesting (in a way )

http://talk.slingshots.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7725

Photos of Mr Baldrig's rifle

He sent me these 2 photos just now -

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/a...psf1a708b0.jpg

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps59f80561.jpg

Clearly a 1970's gun but not in my small area of expertise (such as it is) looks a bit E European though !

It certainly looks like a Milbro G series Diana to me......
    Pete.