Thread: HW97 Stock dilemma

HW97 Stock dilemma

I've been thinking about what to do for a stock on my 97 Chieftain.
    For months I've been toying with buying a 77k laminate, mainly for the stock to swap over to the 97, but half because a little voice in my head keeps saying "hey if you buy that you get the stock and a free 77k" (yes, twisted logic I admit).

However, I really don't need yet another underlever rifle action so mind has been wandering.

On the one hand I do like the newer shape laminate stock for the 77, but the only way to get one is to buy the whole gun as no-one sells them one their own (yet).
    On the other hand, if the key dimensions are the same as the normal 97 stock (which I suspect they are, more or less - does anyone happen to know?), then other than looking nice I'm not gaining anything with the 77 laminate stock.

Which leads me towards option B; a custom stock. Now, I've already got a CS800 on one of the others and its great, but the prices have gone up an awful lot since I bought it, and some of the "privateer" custom stocks look very appealling; Having seen pics of (I think) one of Warren Edwards FT laminate stocks (Brian Samson's TX stock actually).

So, gents, the question is; What to do?
    77k laminate, nick the stock, sell the action on (yeah right, like that would happen)...
    77k laminate, swap stocks with the 97, keep the 77k in 97 stock

Get another CS800, and sulk that its above a hundred quid more than the last one
    or save up and go for one of one of Warren's, which will be more but a cut above anything else I'm considering at the mo.

Watcha think?
    Last edited by Taz72; 24-10-2014 at 10:27 PM.

If you get another CS800 focus on the average price you paid and compare it to the current full price. Smiles all round
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Check out XTX website a guy called matt made me a laminate for my 97 or have a look a mark sanderson on facebook if you are on it

pic of mine

I have 2 stoxks on order from Warren - a walnit rarget one for my vglided 97k and a grey /white laminate target one for my ev2...

If you know don't mind spending £350-£400 then speak to Warren as he's a great guy to chat to and by all accounts makes a cracking stock.

Sheffield custom stocks are overpriced now days IMO.

Matt who has been mentioned has a nice portfolio but I had a couple days of emails from him and then silence... With no phone number mentioned anywarw for him I gave up....

If you want the 77 laminate stock (summer version I think) then drop me a PM as I may have one - just depends on the deal......

Quote Originally Posted by risingfriend View Post
    Check out XTX website a guy called matt made me a laminate for my 97 or have a look a mark sanderson on facebook if you are on it

pic of mine
    That my friend is gorgeous!
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Many thanks lads - Good thoughts.

Cheers for the heads up on Matt and Mark's stocks too; I've seen both before but I couldn't remember whose they were.

Must admit I'm swaying towards the high end stuff at the mo. Looks like a new piggy bank may be needed in the near future....