Thread: Buying Mint

Buying Mint

I was going to reply here - http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-you-have-paid - but decided to start my own thread.

The most I have paid (in relation to an example of a particular mark) was for a BSA Merlin. It was a reminder of the first rifle I had so bought from a nostalgic perspective. I paid top but reasonable price (you know who you are).

The trouble is that it was almost too good. I wanted to play with it for the nostalgic reasons mentioned but was wary as every time I loaded it it knocked off some value. In the event I have only fired it about 50 times in three years. I want to use it more but feel I am abusing it so don't.

I know this is daft - I am a collector who really loves using each one. My problem is that apart from the Merlin most are vgc but not mint and I have no problem (carefully) using them.

Does anyone else have this dilemma with mint examples?

lf you have a mint one of any gun in my opion, is to buy a used one to shoot with, you then get the best of both worlds.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Nope, bought 'em all to use them, maybe not as often as I'd like - but enough to make me happy
    Cannot see the point of buying something to dust...

Absolutely

No 'Safe Queens' here

mind you few of my guns were in 100% or mint condition when I aquired them.

I recently chatted with a guy in the States about his 14 yr old Diana 54 (factory tuned, or summat) which he'd taken out of the safe, his safe, put on sale (about $480 IIRC) then was proposing to put back in the safe after no takers - he had all the original boxes & papers...he stated the gun had been fired 3 times since leaving the salesroom.

I think Mick is right. Having mint or near mint examples of a model is a recipe for having at least two of the same one!

Partly through a shortage of funds and lack of opportunity, I have only rarely bought what I would call a 'mint' example and it's more or less where it was just after I bought it, unfired and in the same packaging it arrive in.

Where I have a superb original example of a gun, I always have an alternative, less good example, in case I get the chance to shoot.

It depends why you collect - to amass and preserve for future generations, or to have a 'working collection' that you use regularly. Most collectors I know have examples of both - and to my mind both motivations are just as respectable.

Cue the 'what's the point of having it if you can't shoot it?' brigade...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

For me it must shoot.
    How often it is shot is different.
    But all of mine get a workout now and then if only indoors.
    Until Mrs Gingernut shouts Oi!

Two or MORE of the same

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I think Mick is right. Having mint or near mint examples of a model is a recipe for having at least two of the same one!

Partly through a shortage of funds and lack of opportunity, I have only rarely bought what I would call a 'mint' example and it's more or less where it was just after I bought it, unfired and in the same packaging it arrive in.

Where I have a superb original example of a gun, I always have an alternative, less good example, in case I get the chance to shoot.

It depends why you collect - to amass and preserve for future generations, or to have a 'working collection' that you use regularly. Most collectors I know have examples of both - and to my mind both motivations are just as respectable.

Cue the 'what's the point of having it if you can't shoot it?' brigade...
    I once bought an airgun - after a long wait . The Seller said he thought I was mad at buying yet another example of this airgun ..when I told him I already had it . He could not understand the difference between using something and keeping something safe ....accidents happen all the time - even in the gun cabinet . Thats whay I now have 3 exampls of this airgun ...just in case .
    My 'mint' airguns ....and very few airguns are truly 'mint' all stay in their original boxes , released to be oiled over occassionally . When I come to swop or sell - it will be the mint examples that go ...I like to use my airguns

True mint or factory fresh, then get another to shoot. Mint are getting scarce and do hold a premium. Generally there are shed loads of very nice used ones and mountains of used and abused. Well used and there isn't any, or much, value and spare parts are expensive. So little that I pull them out of skips!
    I've said this often enough, mint start form 1980 onwards as no one expects a rifle to be mint from earlier periods. Earlier then just look after them as condition is important to their value.

A mint Airsporter S might be worth £350, but an excellent one £180 if that. Can't be many factory fresh ones left, though a good few users. And there aren't going to be any more made. Common rifles like a Webley Vulcan MKI in factory fresh condition are very rare, well I can't find one; rough ones two a penny. Those inexpensive common rifles were made down to a price and don't weather well, so finding one "like new" is getting interesting/difficult. More expensive rifles seem to have faired better.

Mint, factory fresh, prices are starting to rise again because they are difficult to find.

Interesting question. As much as I subscribe to the principle that all of my guns should be in working order, so that I may shoot them whenever I please, the ones in pristine condition rarely get touched. However I know I can if I want to, which works for me. The idea of having a pristine and useable example is a sound one.

John

As mentioned, interesting question, Same sort of things go on in the motorcycling world.
    Personally, I'd never buy an airgun or m/bike unless I intended to use it. Love my old guns, & bikes, but to shut them away, or consider them an investment - no. Some might say all that does is push up the price of non mint examples for those who actually wish to use them 'as intended'.
    Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    As much as I subscribe to the principle that all of my guns should be in working order, so that I may shoot them whenever I please, the ones in pristine condition rarely get touched. However I know I can if I want to, which works for me. The idea of having a pristine and useable example is a sound one.
    I subscribe to the very same philosophy.

Thanks for the responses.

I do go along with the use option. I guess I was just a bit wary.

It was never my intention to collect with any form of investment in mind. I started because I remembered how much fun I had as a teenager and and now able to collect all of those coveted Webleys I could not afford then. I use them all together with recent Crosman discoveries.

Just been out to my garage "range'" and enjoyed using the Merlin.