Thread: BSA Challenger strip

BSA Challenger strip

Hi chap's decided to strip clean replace the buffer etc . It all came apart well untill I tried to get the piston out , halfway out it came to an abrupt stop like something metalic was stopping it , I looked inside and cant see whats stopping it there are holes I can see looks like the scope rail attached some how via them , think this maybe something to do with it anyone out there done one ATB Mike
    A few nice rifles

You need to slide the scope rail backwards about 15mm and then it will lift off.

Sometime you need to tap the rail backwards gently with a block of wood

Hth
    Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Mike if it's anything like my Superstar, then it's the lugs from your scope rail. This needs to be drifted towards the butt using a suitable mallet and dowel so as not to damage the metal. Some guys I hear compress the rail before doing this, but mine came off ok. Watch out beneath the rail as rubberised packing strips were used which may have degraded (heard some are glued in place too). https://www.gunspares.co.uk/images/categories/24290.gif

Hope this helps

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisGerr; 24-10-2014 at 09:41 PM.
    Falcon Raptor (FN12) Lighthunter - Walnut FX Cutlas - EB XVI - HW35 'Karbine' - BSA Airsporter MK4 - Webley Mk III - Relum Tornado - FWB Sport 127 Deluxe - Crosman 1322 custom - Sussex Armoury Jackal - BSA Superstar - Logun Eagle (All .22) and HW80 in .25

Cheer's for that chap's the rail tapped off a treat with the rubber dampers still intact . The piston then came out easy but the piston buffer had crumbled letting the alloy piston head move around and was scored so thats another order to chamber's We did my mates Mk7 Airsporter last night it was in the same condition . Might have a go at making a leather buffer washer got to be better than the BSA crap , anyone know a better material ATB Mike
    A few nice rifles

Hi Mike, I wouldn't buy another piston head, just polish the rough edges off with a bit of wet n dry, might not look a1 but perfectly serviceable. Most new buffers are a different material from the original so I would just buy one of them. By coincidence I just got my challenger back together on Friday, 11 ft lbs in .177 with amazing consistency, very often just 1 fps variation with Falcon acc plus pellets.

atb

Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by magnummike View Post
    Cheer's for that chap's the rail tapped off a treat with the rubber dampers still intact . The piston then came out easy but the piston buffer had crumbled letting the alloy piston head move around and was scored so thats another order to chamber's We did my mates Mk7 Airsporter last night it was in the same condition . Might have a go at making a leather buffer washer got to be better than the BSA crap , anyone know a better material ATB Mike
    There is a standard plumbing washer that is just right for the piston buffer. You just have to open the centre hole size to fit the piston head pin size. PM your address and I will post you one.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Hi Mike, I wouldn't buy another piston head, just polish the rough edges off with a bit of wet n dry, might not look a1 but perfectly serviceable. Most new buffers are a different material from the original so I would just buy one of them. By coincidence I just got my challenger back together on Friday, 11 ft lbs in .177 with amazing consistency, very often just 1 fps variation with Falcon acc plus pellets.

atb

Max
    I'll try that Max , going to make a Delrin spring guide and top hat for mine its a .22 . Didnt know the Challenger was this different to the stock mercury till I stripped it , its a different beast . Was supprised how much grease you can fit in the comp tube it was full of it I did notice when I did another Mercury a couple of weeks ago that the buffer was made of a different material and was black rather than the usual see through stuff ATB Mike
    A few nice rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    There is a standard plumbing washer that is just right for the piston buffer. You just have to open the centre hole size to fit the piston head pin size. PM your address and I will post you one.

Baz
    Cheer's for that Baz very kind of you
    A few nice rifles