Thread: returned to the dark side !!!

returned to the dark side !!!

Ive been on here a few times spouting on about the joys of spring gun shooting . Going on about how I dont have to worry about shot counts, power curves , optimum filling pressures and generally being pretty smug about self contained shooting.
    Well , in a moment of madness , I went out last weekend and got myself a pcp.
    Its not the first one ive owned , but I gave up precharged rifles about 3-4 yrs ago and have been exclusively using spring guns ever since. I have no idea what brought this on , I guess I fancied a change.
    So im now the proud owner of a BSA Scorpion SE .177 camo topped of with a Hawke 4-16 Varmint scope and a HW moderator stuck on the end.
    Firstly let me admit id forgotten how easy pcp's are to shoot and secondly how quiet they are. Its almost silent and will stack jsb 4.53s on top of each other at 30 yards no problem. I haven't had the opportunity to try it at longer ranges yet but I have complete confidence it will perform way beyond my capabilities.
    It is , in my opinion, a cracking gun. Fairly compact and well balanced. It has a pretty good shot count and is as near silent as possible. It also hasnt got a frightening price tag like most pcps seem to have.
    I have to admit im smitten on it, although my hw97kt's will always be my favourites.
    I suppose there is no point to this post other than to say " never say never!!"
    Springers and pcps all have their uses and should not be dismissed as better or worse. I will always be a springer shooter but I realise a multi shot pcp does have its advantages.
    So , bring on the rats !!!!!!
    HW97kt .177 / Panorama 4-12x50 ao-ir ..HW97kt .22 / Viper 10x44..Air Arms Tx200hc .177 / Viper 6-24x56..HW95k Airmasters .20 / Viper 10x44..HW30s.177/Hawke 3-9x40 . HW45 black star .177...BSA Scorpion SE .177 /Varmint 4-16×44

I have tried really hard to like a pcp and have bought one on 4 or 5 occasions but i just cant get past the fact that they bore me senseless so they always end up gathering dust and consequently being sold on. Obviously for serious pest control i would chose the clinical performance of a pcp, anything else is springer territory for me though...

Love my springers but have over the last few years got some pcp,s, none of them are really fashionable but I like them. In order they are BSA Firebird in .20, Logun Solo in .177, Bsa Ultra MMC in .22 , Daystate FTR in .177, Brocock Atomic Pistol in .22, Brocock Enigma Carbine in .22. All good guns but still like the springers.

I've tried a couple of times over the years to leave the world of pcp,s behind and stick with the simplicity that a springer offers. But as I only really use my guns for hunting it wasn't long before I had the urge to get another pcp. For me the IDEA of sticking to a springer is great, but in reality I will always want a pcp for hunting. I will always own a springer or two for when I want to shoot targets and spinners, as I love using them for that
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    I have tried really hard to like a pcp and have bought one on 4 or 5 occasions but i just cant get past the fact that they bore me senseless so they always end up gathering dust and consequently being sold on.
    That is so true !!!! I do like my new pcp and for certain situations it is perfect but when used for target shooting it is boring.
    Rest it on a solid base , place the crosshairs on the target , and you know your gonna hit at least within a few mm if not pefect. Even an absolute novice could use one. Not even close to the satisfaction of getting the same results with my hw97kt's . Which need technique and skill and hours of practice to achieve ☺
    HW97kt .177 / Panorama 4-12x50 ao-ir ..HW97kt .22 / Viper 10x44..Air Arms Tx200hc .177 / Viper 6-24x56..HW95k Airmasters .20 / Viper 10x44..HW30s.177/Hawke 3-9x40 . HW45 black star .177...BSA Scorpion SE .177 /Varmint 4-16×44