Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hw35 t.p

Hw35 t.p

Lots of posts on HW35's & there T.P size so i thought i would check a few more,most like the older leather piston seal models & for the mostB i tend to agree with them.But there seems to be some models that don't follow the rules.
    The Vixen we know is tuned & the port changed to suit so i believe as mine were secondhand so could have been altered any time.Early 70's .22 model 35's are 4mm with leather seal the Vixen in .22 is 3.6 (don't know .177) so in between 1970 & 1979 the port must be smaller.
    I checked a couple of my35's with in-between serial numbers & the .22 versions with the Leather were 3mm.The point of this thread is when people say the old leather 35's shoot better which port are they using?
    Over the next few months i will have a measure of the older .177's & the new .177 models as well as .22 to see if any thing has changed.I can only go back to 1968 though so if any one can check the very early ones that would be handy.
    By the way my 4mm versions have all been Export models weather that makes any difference i don't know as the Export model refers to the style of the Walnut stock.

I have three modern ones and an older (pre-safety) .177. TP looks HUGE. Will check out the size and advise, but pretty sure it'll be 4mm, Mick.

And it shoots extremely sweetly with a synthetic head!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Just got a 1966 HW35 apart for a clean down. .22, T/P is 4mm. Can anyone advise breech seal size? It's not the current design aND i THINK IT'S AN o RING, BUT DON'T WANT TO DIG IT OUT YET.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I.J in the picture are the pistons with the wrong cylinder,only the large transfer port 4mm on mine were fitted with the leather seal.
    I also have a .22 leather piston seal with a 3mm T.P in a single sided safety HW35s.
    I think early .177 no safety T.P are 3mm or so,that is what i will check & the later ones.
    Did you check your Vixen's ? It would be nice to know if the T.P was different in each cal.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    I.J in the picture are the pistons with the wrong cylinder,only the large transfer port 4mm on mine were fitted with the leather seal.
    I also have a .22 leather piston seal with a 3mm T.P in a single sided safety HW35s.
    I think early .177 no safety T.P are 3mm or so,that is what i will check & the later ones.
    Did you check your Vixen's ? It would be nice to know if the T.P was different in each cal.
    Cheers.
    Thats the way the guns came apart - although I hadn't had them from new.

I will check the Vixens.

HTH
    Ian

Ive just been to check. Im very reluctant to stick my digits between the cocked barrel and the cylinder single handed but a rough guide is that a 3.5mm Allen key will fit equally into the .177 and .22 Vixen t p so I would guess approx 4mm each.
    As for the leather piston sealed '35 (.22). Again 'digit preservation' foremost a 2.5mm allen key would fit but not a 3mm so I would say 3mm.

Sorry its so vague but the next time I have them apart I will measure them accurately.

HTH
    Ian

Cheers,from your rough measurements i reckon the Vixens are all 3.6mm .
    The .22 leather seal 35s mid 70's are 3mm & early .22 4mm.

I had a look at an mid 70's HW35s in .22 cal with the F & pentagon on the breach block,this model with 2 hole,single sided,laminate sear,leather piston seal.19 3/4 barrel,11mm rails & a dark standard stock with HW butt pad had a Transfer port of 3mm.

mine is 1979, .177, single sided safety, leather piston seal and 3mm tp.
    Gun had never been apart before i got it.
    From the outside the port looks normal, but from the inside it sort of looks like its been sleeved.
    It might just be a burr on the edge of the hole though, hard to tell. Im sure weihraich werent sleeving down ports.
    Old German target rifles and even older BSA's

Interesting,i've some .177's of various ages to check too.I assume yours is nice to shoot,i don't think HW did any port sleeving.

It shoots very nicely, but its stuck at 9.5ftb. (ive done the breach fix)
    I think it may need a new spring, but ill probably short stroke it and run it at 6 anyway.

As mentioned earlier, everyone says how well the leather seal guns shoot. Makes me wonder if the leather seal 3mm guns would benefit from opening up the port?
    Old German target rifles and even older BSA's

Checked another Export in .22 1982 synthetic seal,2 sided safety.This has 3mm T.P

Had a look at a very nice condition HW35s in .22 dated at about 1983,synthetic piston seal.This one has a 3mm T.P
    Still more to check in .177 & the later models.

Im working on a '35 at the moment. 6292** .177 leather washer. Single sided safety. 1976. 4mm t p.

HTH
    Ian