Thread: WEBLEY SERVICES - how many variants

WEBLEY SERVICES - how many variants

Can somebody who owns a Webley or has special knowledge relate here as a thread for everyone to benefit , just how many variations of Webley Service there are . Mk1 Mk11 and sub variants - sighting arrangements play a big part I have read so far . It all gets a bit confusing

Clear knowledge clarified .

If anybody has any images to share even better ...

This could be a sticky thread maybe as I must not be the only person to get confuddled on this matter .

Binners will enlighten you.
    Trust you and yours are well.

Hello again

Hello again ...and thanks for asking - unfortunately not I am afraid but thats another story .
    Congratulations on that Brittania acquisition - a nice find . I am still looking for a replacement rear sight for mine...and it may be reading the thread that that mon "JosieJohn(?)" has given me an idea to acquire a different rearsight set-up .

There are three main series of the Webley Mk.II Service Air Rifle, 1st.,2nd., & 3rd., of which there were only 1000 made of each of the first two series.
    There were two calibres when it was first launched, .177 & .22, with a .25 calibre added in 1937.
    There are variants of the third series, and some have described the last variants as a 4th. series, although I don't subscribe to this idea.
    The history of the Webley Mk.II Service is described in detail in Chris Thrale's book, Webley Air Rifles 1925 - 2005, which is a must for any serious Webley Air Rifle collector.

so WEBLEY MK1 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    There are three main series of the Webley Mk.II Service Air Rifle, 1st.,2nd., & 3rd., of which there were only 1000 made of each of the first two series.
    There were two calibres when it was first launched, .177 & .22, with a .25 calibre added in 1937.
    There are variants of the third series, and some have described the last variants as a 4th. series, although I don't subscribe to this idea.
    The history of the Webley Mk.II Service is described in detail in Chris Thrale's book, Webley Air Rifles 1925 - 2005, which is a must for any serious Webley Air Rifle collector.
    So its with all these variants that things get confused ...the first question is as this info is for the MK11 , where or what is a MK1 ? And did that not have any variants ? Or like the Airsporter series - the RB2 breach came in with no RB1 model before ...

The Webley Mk.1 Air Rifle was the first production air rifle from Webley, and has little in common with the Service Mk.II, apart from the fact they are both break barrel spring powered air rifles.
    This model is also covered in depth in Chris Thrale's book, and both models have been discussed at length on this forum on many occasions over the years, so a use of the 'Search' facility is recommended.

And, of course, Troubledshooter!

SEARCHING on

Well I have tried this , I have never masterd this function as it seems every Webley Model airgun is filtered in ....even if I narrow the field of searchings to within the Collecting section here ...Any tips ?

ADDED

I have retried this Search facility and somehow just got myself onto a thread for the Sale of SLAVIA 661 [ and a Crosman Mk11 ...Lol ]

I have to agree, I've just done two specific searches and got nowhere.
    It used to be quite good, but the search facility on this forum at present seems to throw up everything apart from what you are looking for.
    Try Google, using either 'Webley Mk.1 Air Rifle' or 'Webley Service Mk.11', or variations of those words, and you might have more luck, as it often links to older threads/posts on this site.

[QUOTE=Troubledshooter;6505985]There are three main series of the Webley Mk.II Service Air Rifle, 1st.,2nd., & 3rd., of which there were only 1000 made of each of the first two series.

I agree, just three series, the later having a couple of minor changes and I too recommend this fantastic book.

How Many Series?

Whilst the Webley factory officially produced just the three Series of Service air rifle, human nature being what it is and with collectors wanting to classify items into categories, I think there is an argument in favour of an 'unofficial' 4th and perhaps 5th and 6th Series. As long as it is made clear the distinctions are unofficial and there to aid classification, then they can help to categorise late production of this classic air rifle. When you examine a standard pre 1938 3rd Series and compare it to a post 1938 '4th' Series example there are abundant differences.

1938 seems to have been a busy year for Webley, as products were upgraded and new lines such as the classic Webley oblong pellet tin introduced. The Service underwent a cosmetic change too and I often wonder how Webley and collectors would have classified these later airguns had WW2 not got in the way.

John

I prefer to stick to Manufacturers designations as far as 'Series' go, with possible variations in each series being listed as either 'Type' or 'Variant' 1-2-3-etc., with the variations described.

Then of course, there is the MK2 series 2 1/2 with no safety catch