Thread: Mid 90's HW80 - what pellets you using?

Mid 90's HW80 - what pellets you using?

Sorry its another pellet thread but I'm only getting mediocre performance from Superdomes, would be grateful to here some other suggestions. I already know it doesn't like AA fields and any of the heavy H&N Barracudas.

Gun is on open sights so retaining long range accuracy isn't a worry.

Was thinking H&N FTT or maybe even trying some Hobbies, I wont be shooting out beyond 25 yards.

Its .22 by the way, any suggestions very welcome,

Ed

I can't speak about a mid 1990's model, but can't imagine would be a difference in barrel bore and twist to a current model. Falcon Accuracy plus and Hobbies go well in mine, .22. Open sights.
    Anschutz 1427 .22LR Nikon Buckmaster SF 4.5-14x40, A-TEC Mod, Tikka M595 222Rem, Leupold 6.5-20x40LR, Howa 1500 APC 308Win, Nikko Diamond 6-24x50 FFP, wildcat Evolution, Sauer 202 243Win, Leupold 4.5-14x50LR, wildcat Evolution.

My pal's 80 drives tacks with Crosman Pointed of all things...

my mk1 and 2 both like rws hobbies,rws superfield/domes. and already mentioned crosman pointed not the realy sharp pointed but the more domed rounded point and their very hard too atleast my tins are all in . 22.
    i know others are equaly good if not better AA were good too,crosman prem but as my lead suits my other rifles it suited to stay suited if you know what i mean.

[QUOTEbut as my lead suits my other rifles it suited to stay suited if you know what i mean. ][/QUOTE]

Indeed, the Superdomes are ok but groups with the 80 aren't quite as tight as with the Stutzen which loves them. I think is still a better pellet out here for the 80.

At the moment H&N FTT and trying a Crossman hunter selection pack looks fun.

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p115185-cro.../#.VEzcvIdyaP8

Ed

my ressurrected HW 80k fitted a new barrel tried superdomes a first didnt like them JSB exacts is its pellet it likes and groups well with them its in .177
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance

Mine loves H&N FTT & Bisley Superfield.Both very accurate with the H&N having the edge for grouping but the Superfield better for hunting.

Hi, my .22 80, I guess similar vintage to yours, is on hobbies at the moment and will shoot one hole groups no problem at the 27 yard zero range I use. I too had only average results with s/domes. I used to use daystate Li's / accupels which were very good but the Daystates are no longer available and the latest Crossman's I have are noticeably different when thumbing in which seems to be reflected on the target. I should say that the gun is short stroked to 60mm and only has a 10" barrel with no choke though.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Mine loves 'Domes.

But, before they became available, the good old, proper Eley Wasps were excellent.

Many good recommendations up above. I'm afraid it's going to be down to trying a few quality pellets out, H&N FTT, the Weihrauch ones (made by H&N) and the JSB derivatives.

If you want a faster, flatter flying one, maybe put the Falcon Accuracy Plus on your shortlist, too?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    Mine loves H&N FTT & Bisley Superfield.Both very accurate with the H&N having the edge for grouping but the Superfield better for hunting.
    Totally agree, Bisley Superfield are top for hunting. I don't know why, but the .22 in particular is the best woodie-stopper that I've tried - by far. I've used them in .177, .20 and .22 and they generally perform well - even in slack old 5.6mm Besas. I'm surprised they're not a lot more popular, they're reasonably priced and top quality. A very underrated pellet...

Thanks for the replies, I'll certainly add Bisley Superfields to the list of ones to try. Can't believe they are only £3.79 a tin either!

Quote Originally Posted by capt hindsight View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I'll certainly add Bisley Superfields to the list of ones to try. Can't believe they are only £3.79 a tin either!
    Probably because they are in tins of 200. I once had some that came with my hw100 and it shot them very well, never tried them in my 80, but perhaps I should.
    Mines ok with bisley long range gold too but they were not as good as the daystate LI's. I'm going to try the hobbies on rabbits, they certainly hit hard, I shot a wind fall apple and 1 shot split the apple in half so I guess lots of energy transfer!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    . I'm going to try the hobbies on rabbits, they certainly hit hard, I shot a wind fall apple and 1 shot split the apple in half so I guess lots of energy transfer!
    On yes, they're fine up to 30 yards. Haven't tried them beyond that range, to be fair, as you have to believe that performance will drop off big time. I'd love to have the proper time to thoroughly test, though.

Back "in the day" I also used the RWS Diablos, at least I think that's what they were called. Anyone else remember them? Green tin, a squirrel on the tin (I seem to remember some called them 'RWS Squirrel'). They were a little heavier than Hobby, cost a little more and were, supposedly, slightly better made. Not that I ever had issues with the Hobby and enjoyed great results with both of these flatheads.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    On yes, they're fine up to 30 yards. Haven't tried them beyond that range, to be fair, as you have to believe that performance will drop off big time. I'd love to have the proper time to thoroughly test, though.

Back "in the day" I also used the RWS Diablos, at least I think that's what they were called. Anyone else remember them? Green tin, a squirrel on the tin (I seem to remember some called them 'RWS Squirrel'). They were a little heavier than Hobby, cost a little more and were, supposedly, slightly better made. Not that I ever had issues with the Hobby and enjoyed great results with both of these flatheads.
    Hi Tony, yes, I used them a lot in my HW35 Luxus, great pellet.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer