Thread: Thinking of selling my Nikon EFT 3-9x40ao.

Thinking of selling my Nikon EFT 3-9x40ao.

It has nice glass and good build quality, but has spent most of the time since I bought it, in its box.

Fact is my eyes aren't what they used to be. Most of my shooting is done on an indoor range between 30-45 yards. Although I shoot at bells and other reactive targets, I spend most of my time trying to get good groups on paper. My other two scopes are a Legend 5-15, and a Simmons ProAir 4-12. I usually take shots at x6-x8 magnification, but I like to zoom in from time to time to see where the pellets are going, and I just can't do that with x9. I've found that I can get by with x12 at a pinch but x15 or 16 is better.

So I find myself contemplating selling a very nice scope for something OK but not in the same league optically, just for a little more magnification. I was thinking along the lines of a Hawke Panorama or MTC Mamba Lite, because I can't really afford anything more expensive, and these scopes generally get good reviews. Even a cheap Nikko Stirling or Hawke HD would probably suit my purposes better than the Nikkon, which is really a hunting scope.

I haven't made the final decision yet. I paid £175 for my Nikon from Uttings and it's unmarked, boxed etc. Do you think £110 plus postage sounds reasonable or is that too much. I may just px it for something else at a gun shop. I'm not fishing for offers so please don't treat this as a sales thread. Please don't pm me. If I do decide to try and sell on here, I will advertise in the sales section.

Am I alone in needing a bit more magnification than standard? Maybe I should keep the scope and buy a cheap spotting scope for target checking, since I generally shoot from a bench.
    Last edited by Arthur John Smithsplease; 25-10-2014 at 03:53 PM.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

I'd say that the price stated is more than reasonable, especially considering the condition described.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I think your idea of a spotting scope is a good one. Aldi/Lidl normally knock them out every now and then for a good price. Perhaps others do too?

Along the same lines maybe a cheap pair of 12+ mag binoculars could do the same job and be more easy to find?
    Last edited by averageplinker; 25-10-2014 at 10:06 PM.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Thanks for the replies.
    Arthur

Have been looking at cheap spotting scopes online, and there are quite a few in the £40-60 range.

Obviously not very good glass, but I'm sure they would more than suit my purposes (most of them are actually overkill) and enable me to keep hold of my Nikon Prostaff.
    Arthur