Thread: 22 for informal target.

22 for informal target.

Years ago I had a Theoben Sirocco 2000 in 22, which I reluctantly sold because it regularly needed topping up. However, I haven't owned a 22 springer since I was a lad. Because I don't hunt I've always used 177 guns.

But I'm not a competitive target shooter either, and when I decided to buy a HW99s I followed the advice of those who said it was sweeter in 22.

My word, for a light weight gun it is very civilised to shoot. Of course, I'm still having to relearn the 22 trajectory, but on a range it doesn't cause suffering if you clip a target (well, only to the frustrated shooter perhaps). I'm also loving the way the larger calibre really knocks those targets down. Very satisifying.

Now I'm beginning to wonder how nice a heavy springer like a HW77/97 or TX would feel in 22. I may have been missing out on a very enjoyable experience for the last thirty years.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

If your shooting in competitions such as FT a .177 is a definite advantage, unless of course there's a .22 class!

If your target shooting for fun, then the .22 is just as good, I dial my scopes for range and if you have worked out a range card for the settings at various ranges then in reality there's no difference!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

My word, for a light weight gun it is very civilised to shoot. Of course, I'm still having to relearn the 22 trajectory, but on a range it doesn't cause suffering if you clip a target (well, only to the frustrated shooter perhaps). I'm also loving the way the larger calibre really knocks those targets down. Very satisifying.

Now I'm beginning to wonder how nice a heavy springer like a HW77/97 or TX would feel in 22. I may have been missing out on a very enjoyable experience for the last thirty years.
    It would, of course, be lovely, Arthur.

However, if going for a later TX, with longer stroke, I'd guess that it would be very "lazy" in the larger calibre. Not saying that as a negative, as some people prefer them that way. And they can still be forgiving and accurate thus so.

Or, you could treat the 99 to a spit and polish tune and nice, heavy barrel shroud. Or keep the existing one standard, get another (far cheaper than the 97 and TX) and trick that one up!

Quite special things, even out of the box, aren't they?

Have you managed to have a play with the 30S yet?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thanks Tony.

Not yet. Tomorrow will be the day.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    I'm also loving the way the larger calibre really knocks those targets down. Very satisifying.
    Careful, the .177 Nazis will be angry if they see that!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I'm a .177 shooter and tbh this idea has been on my mind.. Something like a .22 hw99 would make a lovely LSR competition gun.. Or considering the rule for a pos trigger (my thoughts on 500g), numerous junior guns in the tamer caliber.

Jonathan