Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In Need of Stout Footwear

In Need of Stout Footwear

With the onset of Autumn my thoughts are leaning towards keeping my feet dry and warm during the coming months. I can't justify the expense of Harkila stalking boots at £250 so wondered if anyone might suggest a suitable - more economic- alternative?
    Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little.

I wear these Salamon boots daily and can say they are an amazing pair of boots I have had them around a year. I wear them on the streets, rough terrain and on muddy camp sites and have yet to find a fault in them. They also have a lace lock at the lower ankle that comes in very handy

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/quest-4d-gtx-p150261

Meindl hiking boots

When you say stalking boots i presume you are looking for boots a bit higher than the average walking boot,Gri sport do a boot called the oak and they are a really good boot for the money about £95 on the bay and should do the job and will last years.

I've just bought a pair of these from Screwfix for £25, waterproof and comfortable straight out the box.....can't go wrong.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/site-onyx-...-size-8/48132#

What's your most likely terrain/scenario ?

I'd want something very different for Highland reds than mooching around the Cotswolds....

On a budget it's hard to knock the high led British army goretex boot or the newer Alt-Berg defenders. The defenders are pretty rigid mind and don't seem to loosen off any time soon (or even at all for all I know).

Coupled with decent gaiters either of the above are a robust and cost effective solution.

If you want excellent general all rounders I'd probably look at Alt-Berg as an overall contender due to their amazing width (or custom) fitting and the range of products to suit most needs.

I have very broad feet so the 11L British military stuff or the wide fitting Alt-Berg boots suit me down to the ground.

If you are expecting particularly wet conditions have you considered a decent set of wellies ?

Some around the £80 - £100 mark offer a great combination of insulation, high level of waterproof (measured up the leg I mean ) and a walking boot sole.

Agree the defenders are good boot....you should also check out the normal army assault boots - cheap, readily available and comfortable if already broken in. I alternate between these and my Lowas.

Thanks
    Tim

Agile gtx work for me.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'll follow some of the leads mentioned. Someone today said Grub Stalkers are great and just need a hose down to clean off the mud.

My terrain is mainly woodland in the Cotswolds ...

Thanks again.

Its difficult
    I am a fan of Timberlands but the ones we get at work kill me they just don't suit my feet but other lads love them, its down to what fits best

Muck boots, I have a pair, dam there comfy.
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner too View Post
    Muck boots, I have a pair, dam there comfy.
    Are they Muck Boot Tay? I've heard they are good but no one nearby stocks them and it's a little risky buying online for sizing. Some say you need to go one size larger?

I have a pair of Harkila and Muck Muckmasters, The Muckmasters are warmer, very comfortable, brilliant in muddy conditions and as slippery as a really slippery thing on rocky surfaces... Harkila are great but if I could only have one pair of wet weather boots and only walk on soil (wet or dry) then it'd be the Muckmasters.

Quote Originally Posted by snodgrass49 View Post
    Are they Muck Boot Tay? I've heard they are good but no one nearby stocks them and it's a little risky buying online for sizing. Some say you need to go one size larger?
    They are, an i ordered on line the size i usually take,an to be honest at first i thought they were a 1/2 size too big, but now i have had them a year or so,seem perfect.i bought the ones that come up just above the ankle,an now i am thinking i might get another pair but higher on the calf.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris D'Bus View Post
    I have a pair of Harkila and Muck Muckmasters, The Muckmasters are warmer, very comfortable, brilliant in muddy conditions and as slippery as a really slippery thing on rocky surfaces... Harkila are great but if I could only have one pair of wet weather boots and only walk on soil (wet or dry) then it'd be the Muckmasters.
    I use the boots i have mainly on the Farmers fields so not a great deal of rocky surfaces ,but they are slippy over the wooden sty's, especially the old wood with a tad of green (mold) on an of-course wet