Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Webley Tempest - cocking problem.

New Webley Tempest - cocking problem.

I have an original Tempest and I can cock it by unlatching, putting my left thumb under the barrel and just turning my wrist round until it cocks - great.

I have a new Turkish Tempest - complete with case and certificate - and it is almost impossible to cock. I unlatch it and have to rest it on my thigh whilst attempting to force the barrel to a position where it will finally latch. Honestly it strains my wrist and cuts into my leg. After three shots I have had enough as it is too much effort to bother.

OK - so it is possible that I am the worlds greatest limp-wristed wimp but I have no problem with any other of my pistols (Typhoon, Hurricane, Mark 1s, Seniors and Premiers).

Anyone else have a problem with these?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I must be a bigger wimp than you as I use my thigh for my old British one!

I have heard that the Turkish ones have a stouter spring and need more effort, couple that with your old one maybe being a bit lacklustre and you have the answer.

Man-up Princess!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Mmmm. shouldn't take that much force; for one thing it is not good for the barell. My Brummy Hurricane cocks in a similar way to your original Tempest and is putting out 420 ft/sec with JSB Exacts - so not exactly underpowered.

Might be an idea to strip it down and see what sort of spring is fitted?
    Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I must be a bigger wimp than you as I use my thigh for my old British one!

I have heard that the Turkish ones have a stouter spring and need more effort, couple that with your old one maybe being a bit lacklustre and you have the answer.

Man-up Princess!
    But, but - the new one is REALLY, REALLY hard (sob) - and I am so manly with the others. (Yeah - that does sound SO wrong).

Seriously it is beyond a joke - it is almost like it is spring bound and honestly impossible to use consistently. No other pistol I have is like that even the less efficient leveraged Mark 1s you can live with and use.

The Turkish Tempest is definately harder to cock than the Brummie Tempest. I read that it uses a different spring (IIRC Clarkey identified the wire is circular rather than flat section hence more resistance).

Even so I have managed the knack of cocking it the traditional Webley way (left thumb just behind the front sight, palm facing upwands, cock in one decisive movement). I'm not saying it is easy but its manageable; but I'd much rather just use my Brummie one with ease (which is not weak but has good power).

I have toyed with the idea of putting another spring in the Turkish one to make it more user friendly but will probably leave it alone. There are threads on bbs by folk that have mastered the knack of cocking the Turkish one, and like it for its power, so it satisfies someones needs.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    But, but - the new one is REALLY, REALLY hard (sob) - and I am so manly with the others. (Yeah - that does sound SO wrong).

Seriously it is beyond a joke - it is almost like it is spring bound and honestly impossible to use consistently. No other pistol I have is like that even the less efficient leveraged Mark 1s you can live with and use.
    That sounds even worse than the usual complaints.

Webley MK1s are bad enough, and in .22 cal, their barrels have been known to bend under the cocking pressure.

Did you buy it new or 2nd hand?

I actually always cock my tempests that way; on my upperleg. Its just easiest.
    I handled a turk once, could get my hands under the barrel when it was unlatched
    Maybe you can shorten the spring or fit a uk spring
    ATB,
    yana

...grease her up!

...try a little bit of moly paste in the cocking slide/cutout,see if you can get a little bit under it on the bit that the cocking leaver pulls(cant recall its name).
    if its dry in there then that could be your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    That sounds even worse than the usual complaints.

Webley MK1s are bad enough, and in .22 cal, their barrels have been known to bend under the cocking pressure.

Did you buy it new or 2nd hand?
    I bought it new when they were introduced - I cannot have fired it more than 20 times as it really is too much effort.

It is way too difficult to be a lube problem - thanks for the suggestions btw.

When I get time - hopefully this weekend - I'll swop the spring from my original Tempest and, if that improves things, buy an original spring and substitute that.

The only thing that puts me off doing this is the marks I will make removing the pins of the new one, I'll put a rubber insert into a hollow drift to minimise. I guess I bought it as a user rather than museum piece so I'll bite the bullet and do it.

I'll report back.

I tried the Moly grease, made no difference, the spring is very strong (not to mention noisy/creaky).

I'd be very interested to know how you go on with the spring exchange. Maybe you could take a photo of the springs next to each other to illustrate any differences.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    I tried the Moly grease, made no difference, the spring is very strong (not to mention noisy/creaky).

I'd be very interested to know how you go on with the spring exchange. Maybe you could take a photo of the springs next to each other to illustrate any differences.

Good Luck
    Thanks (good luck).

I will try this weekend but there may be a delay - I will post when done though.

Just dug out the thread in which clarky mentioned the stronger spring; the wire coils apparently having a more circular section instead of flat section. You could be the first to post photos and clear up this mystery. See post #31 below:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....urkish+tempest

Curiously, Chambers list the same part number for the spring (MS071) on the old and new Tempest? Guess the on-line ordering system logs the webpage/variant of pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post

I have a turkish one and whilst I've never shot a brummie one, I would go as far to say that they are basically impossible to cock by just wrenching the mechanism open with your hands (without using your knee as a rest). However, they do have quite a bit of power (mine's pushing 480fps with a 7 grain pellet) so they don't hang around. Like a lot of things in life, the whole cocking mechanism IS EASY but requires TECHNIQUE. Very little to do with actual strength but it's about gently resting the end of the underside of the gun gently on your knee with your knee at about a 45 degree angle while you use as much leverage as possible to open the mechanism in one swift motion. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Curiously, Chambers list the same part number for the spring (MS071) on the old and new Tempest? Guess the on-line ordering system logs the webpage/variant of pistol?
    More like Chambers sell generic non-original springs in the style of 'a few sizes fits all' Although when I bought one for a Premier, it was actually fine.

Protek do a spring to fit all the older Webleys for £9.50 but I haven't tried their version personally