Thread: Theoben Rapid reg service question

Theoben Rapid reg service question

Ok, after my second puncture this week I'm not going to be able to afford the new reg off KevG that was planed

so, stripped mine down. I need some orings urgently (any help appreciated ) but got a few questions.

Piston travel - I've read 1/2mm (edit, reading this again, I think it's 1-2mm, not .5mm) is about right but I can't get that small amount of travel on mine. It was set with 3mm and I think I can get that down to 1.5 - 2mm. Is this ok? Or Is 3mm right?

Locking Collar - mine has no o-ring between the knurled ring and the stainless housing. Every other one Ive had, had an oring? This one was locked in place with loctite. Is this correct? Or does the oring keep it tensioned to keep it in place? If loctite, is blue ok or stronger needed?

thanks guys

and if you ha an set of orings for a reg (and the rest of a rapid) then please PM me! I sold all of mine and can't for life of me remember who I sold them to... Nick, was it you?

There are several people on the bay selling full O ring sets.
    sorry I'm unclear about the other questions.

I have not seen a reg direct from theoben that doesn't have an o ring to lock the collar, also end float is between 1/2 - 1mm, I wouldn't lock tight the collar, try a few wraps of ptfe tape, that should hold it.

bb

Thanks guys, sorry, I didn't get an email to say there were replies.

Managed to to coble it together with a few orings I had. I ended up on 1mm travel on the piston so that was a bit of luck used an oring to screw down the collar against and it seems to work ok. Will await some proper seals and then see. It didn't creep over an hour so that's a good sign.

Rifles still a little inconsistent (12fps Max spread, sometimes 6) but I only had a spare FAC valve and stem so guess the porting is way out. Maybe I need to try and make my own and have a play....

I had wondered about ptfe tape. Will give that a go when I get the new seals.
    thansk for the help.

Must admit to being confused now,

The reg works by the compression of the spring washers, so surely any end float is both unnecessary & un desirable

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

The reg works by the compression of the spring washers, so surely any end float is both unnecessary & un desirable
    it has the end float so that the air can get through the reg in the first place, pressure increases in the block, pushes the reg core, compresses the washers and sealing the reg. too little endfloat make the reg lazy to react, too much makes it inconsistant

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

All I know is that when I set the reg pleasure I screwed the collar in a little and the pressure dropped, screwed it out further than the original setting and the pressure went up - all with no adjustment made to the spring washers. So basically I turned the 11mm nut without holding the core with a 3mm Allen key.

Hth
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by brucegill View Post
    All I know is that when I set the reg pleasure I screwed the collar in a little and the pressure dropped, screwed it out further than the original setting and the pressure went up - all with no adjustment made to the spring washers. So basically I turned the 11mm nut without holding the core with a 3mm Allen key.

Hth
    Bruce
    contradiction there mate, adjusting the brass collar in will decrease endfloat so there would be less pressure needed to overcome the washers, screw it out and more pressure is required BUT turning the 11mm nut without the allen key would have no effect on pressure

Quote Originally Posted by bucketboy View Post
    contradiction there mate, adjusting the brass collar in will decrease endfloat so there would be less pressure needed to overcome the washers, screw it out and more pressure is required BUT turning the 11mm nut without the allen key would have no effect on pressure
    Yeah, sorry, been working too much and shattered. Forget the 11mm nut bit... I was trying to make it clearer but made it worse lol

did I recall it correctly other than that? Screwed in collar, less pressure. Screwed out the collar, preasure went up. That sound right? (Sorry, just trying to understand it myself but now questioning my memory!)

Yeah, sorry, been working too much and shattered. Screwed in collar, less pressure. Screwed out the collar, preasure went up. That sound right?
    yep, that would happen but the correct way to set the reg is to set the endfloat first then use the reg nut to compress the washers

Quote Originally Posted by bucketboy View Post
    yep, that would happen but the correct way to set the reg is to set the endfloat first then use the reg nut to compress the washers

Thanks mate. I was just playing to see what the differance in end float resulted in. i then set to 1mm (with oring to lock down on) and then set the preasure the normal way

Yeah, sorry, been working too much and shattered. Forget the 11mm nut bit... I was trying to make it clearer but made it worse lol

did I recall it correctly other than that? Screwed in collar, less pressure. Screwed out the collar, preasure went up. That sound right? (Sorry, just trying to understand it myself but now questioning my memory!)
    No, it worked, now I understand you.

I thought you were talking about float on the nut/washers, that was what I couldn't understand, all clear now.