Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bankk transfers a cautinonary tale.

bankk transfers a cautinonary tale.

Back in August and early September I got scammeded on here ourt of £400 for an Evolution and scope that never arrivded the sciumbags been banded and its in the hands of the police so I wont bore you. I payded by bank transfer thinking (wrongly) that if it went wrong I would be covered has you are with a credit card Both my bank ( Barclays) and his HSBC seem unwilling to offer any recompence, even though no one in my bank told me I wasnt coverd when the cash was transfered So £400 down and now in the hands of the FOS. So be aware bank transfers may not be has safe has you think

Bloody hell Dave, that is bad luck ,and indeed a wake up call to the rest of us.
    That is why I now only deal face to face unless the buyer/seller is known to me.
    Pete.

Afraid that is the case.
    Just like cash.
    If there is a Prosecution make sure the CPS ask the Court to compensate you.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    Bloody hell Dave, that is bad luck ,and indeed a wake up call to the rest of us.
    That is why I now only deal face to face unless the buyer/seller is known to me.
    Pete.
    thanks Pete, Its the only bad deal I have ever had here, 99.9% of all here are has honest has the day is long, my bad lack to get this scumbag. I have contacted the Fos and the internett fraud unit, but boys in bluenot doing very much has far has I can see Did think of calling up to Nottingham were this guy lives, but I know I would loose my temper, so its better I dont.

A bad experience, but down to fraud, rather than problems with bank transfer. Pretty much the same thing would happen if you bought by paypal.

Face to face and an exchange of cash is the only way to guarantee safety and that often isn't feasible. Fortunately most people buying and selling on these forums are honest.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by jassi View Post
    A bad experience, but down to fraud, rather than problems with bank transfer. Pretty much the same thing would happen if you bought by paypal.

Face to face and an exchange of cash is the only way to guarantee safety and that often isn't feasible. Fortunately most people buying and selling on these forums are honest.

Ian
    and dealing with someone who has a decent history on here can make the likelihood of something going wrong much less likely.

Banks and Paying

Well 2 problems surface here ...
    ..the fraud-
    - is bad enough . Somebody breaks the Law and can be identified then although nothing is 'clearly cut and dried ' , you are okay to persue them legally - the Police and the Courts . Real fraud - this happens very rarely .
    - Making payments easily and cheaply is the most important and when I see people demanding Bank Transfer only I walk away - I have no idea where they bank , but when I inquired at mine , was left with the strong impression that it was unsafe by the staff , and also very costly . There is also the issue of my details being accessed by a third party ...fraud .

So nobody gets my Bank details - I use Cash or Paypal .
    If an accident occurs and payments go ascue then yes its frustrating and a problem .
    If fraud occurs then see note above and I stop worrying .

How this really REALLY affects us all , is when on national / international forums , people refuse now to post - face to face only .
    Defeats the purpose of the Internet . I can afford to lose a little money . I cannot afford to lose out on a needed item for my collection - because somebody refuses a sale .

Quote Originally Posted by hebhaggis View Post
    ...when I see people demanding Bank Transfer only I walk away - I have no idea where they bank ...was left with the strong impression that it was unsafe by the staff , and also very costly . There is also the issue of my details being accessed by a third party ...fraud .

So nobody gets my Bank details - I use Cash or Paypal ....
    -Bank transfers are free ? Perhaps your bank misunderstood and thought you meant a CHAPS transfer, usually ~ £25?
    As for being unsafe, you only give the same details as found on a cheque or the front of any bank card.
    -Paypal is not permitted for any firearm related sales so you'll be equally unprotected and is a favourite of those wishing to separate you from your money for this very reason.
    -Posting cash is risky unless face to face, and even then has its perils.

In essence there's no totally safe means of transferring funds from one party to another, which is where a good track record of deals is a great help.

The mods do a great deal to prevent the serial criminals from being active on this forum, and if more people left feedback it would make that a more useful tool too.

I wish the Fattman good luck in recouping his monies.

Quote Originally Posted by hebhaggis View Post
    There is also the issue of my details being accessed by a third party ...fraud .

Apart from sympathising with Dave and agreeing that caution must be used when sending money by bank transfer, I do think they can be a useful way of shifting money around. You don't have to be afraid of giving out your bank details, because nobody can do you harm with the information. It's no different than giving someone a cheque.

Edit: I see 18 Wheeler said much the same thing!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

So presumably you don't use cheques either.

I use bank transfer as much as possible, and have done for years, as it's quick and uncomplicated, and no different to sending or accepting a cheque, as exactly the same information required for a bank transfer is printed on a cheque, apart from the security details needed to access your online bank account.

I use Paypal if a merchant gives the option, as one doesn't have to keep giving card details all the time, and accept Paypal as long as any fees are paid up front.

Obviously Cash is King, but not always feasible.

I have bought quite a bit using bank transfer and all deals have been honest. F2F sounds ok but i live in wales and if the guy selling lives in scotland for instance then that is impossible as travel costs on top would make the deal far to expensive. Paypal fees also add to cost. I would still deal on here bank transfer but only with someone with good selling history. 99.9% of deals on here go ok with no trouble. Fattman sorry to hear about your loss. Think peeps like that should be turned in to unuks:-) chris

So, I take it sending cash by Royal Mail Signed For 1st class, I call it Recorded Delivery, is a no no.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

i only take payment via bank transfer, i will never use paypal for paying or receiving, even cash can be risky ! have paid in to a bank cash to be told its a forgery! cant win but b transfer seems to be the best

scammers

Quote Originally Posted by FattMann View Post
    Back in August and early September I got scammeded on here ourt of £400 for an Evolution and scope that never arrivded the sciumbags been banded and its in the hands of the police so I wont bore you. I payded by bank transfer thinking (wrongly) that if it went wrong I would be covered has you are with a credit card Both my bank ( Barclays) and his HSBC seem unwilling to offer any recompence, even though no one in my bank told me I wasnt coverd when the cash was transfered So £400 down and now in the hands of the FOS. So be aware bank transfers may not be has safe has you think
    Sorry to hear about this FattMan, that`s a lot of money to have stolen and I wish you luck with capturing this lowlife.
    As a newbie I have no feedback on here at all but as an honest person the only thing I can do when buying or selling
    on the internet is to ask people to check my feedback on the large auction site where I have over just a few years built
    up an honest record of paying for goods immediately and honesty when selling, this also includes offering to take back
    any goods a buyer is not happy with for any reason.
    Purchasing face to face is not always possible of course and I would certainly hope I would not lose out on a pistol I
    really fancy up for sale on this site because I was not to be trusted.
    Yes, you have been very unlucky and I do not know how many scammers have frequented this board but I hope it is just
    a case of "one bad apple"
    Best of luck to you.

I bought a s/h pcp from a guy on another forum - him new and totally unknown.
    He lived close to JB, so I said to him if he'd deliver it for a service, as soon as it got there I'd pay him.

All worked out, he knew enough to know that was the best option he was going to get off anyone -

He accepted that no one was going to buy diddly squat off him as a new poster, esp pcp by post ..

I know years ago there was an escrow type service run by ??? (Gary C maybe) ....

Anyway - I reckon we could all be helping each other out a bit more on here - there are Remington Express rifles retailing for £125 new if you live in Lincolnshire for example ..

I would only buy 'blind' from fairly established posters on forums unless of a value that you are content to 'write off'
    Perhaps the club scene could be more thoughtful here at helping folk get s/h kit and not get fleeced. If as a shooter you are completely out the loop with local clubs, I'd certainly recommend that to anyone, even if not frequently as it can get pricey, and is not everyones bag of course ...