Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bankk transfers a cautinonary tale.

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Iv`e bought quite a few items off this site and tried where possible to collect, most collects have not cost me anymore in fuel costs than if i had paid for postage/couriers, using my wifes car i must admit , v-good mpg . The other purchases have been via bank transfer, and the odd payment by PP for odds and ends, with no problems at all. Most items iv`e bought have been as or better than described, and more often than not off members who have a large number of posts and good feedback... Gordon.

name and shame

if the member is still on this site be helpful to know and to avoid if this is allowed ?

Quote Originally Posted by gordon View Post
    Iv`e bought quite a few items off this site and tried where possible to collect, most collects have not cost me anymore in fuel costs than if i had paid for postage/couriers, using my wifes car i must admit , v-good mpg . The other purchases have been via bank transfer, and the odd payment by PP for odds and ends, with no problems at all. Most items iv`e bought have been as or better than described, and more often than not off members who have a large number of posts and good feedback... Gordon.
    This has been my experience, too. With the added advantage (for me if not them) that you can then put a face to the name on a post.

ATVB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Sorry to hear that Dave.

You can call a bank transfer back saying it was paid accidentally or to the wrong account, the other party usually has to be willing for the money to be removed from their account but it can be done.

I have done it twice this year, did last month when £2500 was involved, fortunately the other party agreed.
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

Quote Originally Posted by wonky donky View Post
    Sorry to hear that Dave.

You can call a bank transfer back saying it was paid accidentally or to the wrong account, the other party usually has to be willing for the money to be removed from their account but it can be done.

I have done it twice this year, did last month when £2500 was involved, fortunately the other party agreed.
    When I'm transferring money, if possible - I do a test transfer of a small amount first to make sure the account details are correct. Make a mistake, and although it can be fixed as above, you could be in a real heap of trouble as the bank may not give you details of the other person.

always get address and phone number an check it

I have bought/sold on here with no problems.

I always use bank transfer.

The deciding factor for me is the credence of the person I am dealing with. If they have a more than a few basic posts I look at some of them and if, like me (I hope), they seem to contribute more than just selling stuff I trust them.

So far it has worked.

Bottom line? - I guess you can get ripped off with whatever payment method you use.

Quote Originally Posted by ratshot5 View Post
    always get address and phone number an check it
    yes, got that but still no goods or cash, allso pointed out o his bank hsbc that he had previous

Quote Originally Posted by farmera View Post
    if the member is still on this site be helpful to know and to avoid if this is allowed ?
    no hes been banded, so he cant catch any of you hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    and dealing with someone who has a decent history on here can make the likelihood of something going wrong much less likely.
    sorry your wrong there , this guy had a sizeable post record so thats no advantage really is it

Sorry to hear this,I would rate this forum as the safest on the net to deal with where 2nd hand buys are concerned.
    Sadly the only 100% safe way is cash face to face,the only advantages of BT is speed of payment and a paper trail if you like should something go wrong as indeed it has in this case.
    Paypal for buying guns is a big no,should it got tits up you've lost your money as it's againast their terms and conditions,you may well find your account banned into the bargain.
    Credit cards are not as safe as people think,if you use a third party to buy goods on your credit card (such as the bay of fleas/paypal) then the card issuer is within their rights to refuse a refund or protection,it's only safe if you buy direct from the seller themselves and over £100 in most case's.

Hopefully the police will sort this out but whether you get your money back is another matter.
    Smile!...today is the day you worried about yesterday. :-)

Supanova II Weymouth....http://www.supanova-charters.co.uk/

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    So, I take it sending cash by Royal Mail Signed For 1st class, I call it Recorded Delivery, is a no no.

ATB
    Ian
    Kin' Hell Stumpy!
    What's up with ya?

Cash by Recorded Delivery...NO!!!!
    Cash by Special Delivery......YES!!!! as long as it's under £500!
    HTH.

Roy.

If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

I did remember to write on the back of the envelope: CAUTION. LARGE AMOUNTS OF CASH INSIDE. And some people think Im fik.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I haven't sold on here and bought little.
    I may be stating the obvious but I always look at the content of a sellers posts rather than the number.
    Easy to spot the enthusiasts!

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I haven't sold on here and bought little.
    I may be stating the obvious but I always look at the content of a sellers posts rather than the number.
    Easy to spot the enthusiasts!
    again, this guy was plausable in his posts, but thanks for your inputt. Nowadays unless its someone I know or have dealt with afore I will think long and hard before I part with any of my cash I hope my mistake will serve has a warning toall you others, numbers of posts are ireelivent, lenngth on the forum is irrelivent, there are scammers out there with 30 posts and 300 posts, just be aware.