Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are BSA Airsporter RB2 Stutzens going for nowadays?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

What are BSA Airsporter RB2 Stutzens going for nowadays?

Hi all,

I'm just wondering what Airsporter RB2 Stutzens are going for nowadays?

I have a bit of money saved up but just wondering if I have enough or need to save a bit more.

Cheers

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I would say £350 - 400 for a nice one.

How about a nice .25 RB2 Stutzen, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Depends on the price, I've not got masses of funds, I'm not worried about calibre.

Cheers

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The Stutzen RB2 is probably the best looking spring-piston production rifle ever made, even prettier than the ProSport.

But it is designed for about 18 fpe.

And they have a very poor record for accuracy. Mine would do 3" groups at 25 yards, plenty accurate for Coke cans and plastic badgers and hub-caps but not for hunting, targets or serious plinking.

Talk to BigSeth before you begin looking for one if you think I am biased, he also bought one with high hopes.

Get a nice s/h HW35 and keep the spare money for genuine good value purchases.

Like pie.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I would love a .25 RB Airsporter!

Airsporterman
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The Stutzen RB2 is probably the best looking spring-piston production rifle ever made, even prettier than the ProSport.
    Agree with you 100%...

Agree that the Stutzen is really pretty - and I love mine. But are you really comparing it to a rifle that seems to have 2 big nails hammered into the stock?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Big Seth's report on trying to get the RB2 to shoot ...

Thumbs down!

(the accuracy problem is...) More to do with the front swivel fixing being the only thing holding the action at the sharp end, via a barrel band. I use slings on all my rifles and I bought the Stut when they were still in production to shoot with. From factory it was very consistant over the chrono, but 2.5'' groups at 30 yards. Not accurate enough to be humane. So first I ditched the barrel band, drilled and ran theads into the action. Next I inlet the still full length forend to take stock screws, grafted on a higher cheekpiece, refinished in BC tru oil over a rich stain. Still grouped like a shottie! So opened the barrel channel to isolate the forend from the barrel and bedded the action to the stock. No better. Finally carved the front end off out badness before flogging it. It looked pretty at all stages but guns are meant to shoot...

Stutzen

Superb airguns to be sure .
    The problem as always is - if we can only afford one gun to try - we may well decide ALL are the same ....how many times my friends have you read and heard that EACH each individual airgun may well / usually does perform better/worse with pellet selection , pellet condition /barrel fowling. With the above SINGLE gun mentioned , I would suspect first off if an issue with accuracy then maybe a duff barrel ? A simple re-examination of the bore and muzzle could have identified an issue . Sometimes things go awry with an airgun in the factory .

But usually extra cautions and care are what is needed .
    To illustrate -

If somebody elsewhere ie in Club target shooting , takes the time to spend £££ on hand selected pellets sold in trays to avoid damaged skirts , in .177 - the easiest calibre to use in any discipline..... then how much more should we take extra precaution when going up in calibre , when trying to insure clean kills .

Going up a calibre , with no added cares taken - the percentages of mistake/mistrikes are increased exponentially .
    Things to consider -

- I spent out on a chronograph - what did that do for my 'real' shooting pleasure - nothing other than to tell me highest ouput to stay safe and legal but I
    suppose it was a wise purchase .
    - A pro weighing scale - much better investment .
    - x20 tins of different Make/ variety of Pellet weights in whichever calibre your gun is .......best investment .
    - Pellet lube - essential - after cleaning and washing off all swarf / bits
    - Pellet Sizer - any will adjust and modify the performances of pellets up or down ...you need to experiment .

Until somebody does the same then an appraisal on ONE gun is flawed .Thumbs down - most definetly not !
    I am biased - I love my Stutzen !
    Last edited by hebhaggis; 27-10-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hebhaggis View Post
    Superb airguns to be sure .....
    I am biased - I love my Stutzen !
    That's great. What size groups will it shoot at 25 yards?

But it is designed for about 18 fpe.

And they have a very poor record for accuracy. Mine would do 3" groups at 25 yards, plenty accurate for Coke cans and plastic badgers and hub-caps but not for hunting, targets or serious plinking.

Talk to BigSeth before you begin looking for one if you think I am biased, he also bought one with high hopes.

Get a nice s/h HW35 and keep the spare money for genuine good value purchases.

Like pie.
    Alistair me old mucker,

I know where you're coming from regarding the accuracy issue, nearly all the Airsporters inc a Stutzen I once owned never seemed to be very accurate, the problem was in the past and still the same a bit now (but not as bad) is the lack of money to be able to buy rifles, they where always used for hunting and never really hit the mark, so out of frustration and wanting to get the next tool for the job, they always got sold on to fund said tool, now that I have my dedicated hunting rifle, I can now save my money like before and purchase the rifles I want for my collection, now obviously the Stutzen is going to be had for it's looks, so in theory I should get the Diana version as it will have the accuracy to go with it BUT does it look as graceful as the Airsporter? not in my eyes, it's that slopping trigger block that does it, all has done, that's why I always have a Mercury in the collection.

Now I know you're not going to be offended.......much!, by my next comment but how the hell can you
    mention one of the most graceful air rifles of all time in one sentence and the carbuncle which is the HW35 in another (oh I had too hold back from being sick then) shame on you, now say 10 hail Mary's and wash your mouth out young man.

At this rate I will be spending my money on a Tyrolean stock for the Prosport.

Pete

BSA's Centenary is more beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    BSA's Centenary is more beautiful
    I think they look a bit strange with the barrel sticking out the front of the stock, looks like something that was knocked up in a shed over the weekend.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Alistair me old mucker,

1. I know where you're coming from regarding the accuracy issue

2. Now I know you're not going to be offended.......much!, by my next comment but how the hell can you
    mention one of the most graceful air rifles of all time in one sentence and the carbuncle which is the HW35 in another ... ?

Pete
    1. I had one of them thar Airsporter RB2 rifles, it was one of the most expensive rifles I have bought ... It was in as-new condition, beautifully made... and it grouped like a .410 at 25 yards. I think it was a barrel issue. I just COULD NOT hang on to something that could be utterly embarrassed by my old BSA Meteor yet cost six times as much. Like keeping a Bentley that can only do 20mph. You might as well have a picture of one, unless you do all your hunting at 10 paces.

2. I suggested the 35 as a hunter because it is an ugly old warhorse that you wouldn't mind scratching or dropping in ditches. In fact you might want to! And also because I think they are pretty good rifles!

A Tyrolean would be nice for the ProSport but the stock on that is pretty much perfect and the Tyro stocks are not that great for taking all types of shot, they are a 10m Target type of thing.

Yet again, the answer may actually be 'Pie'.