Thread: Leapers UTG 4X AO scope

Leapers UTG 4X AO scope

We all want something for nothing, and how many times have you heard "you get what you pay for", well, that's true, but no matter how much you pay for a scope, it should do what a scope is supposed to do. Let you see the target and be precise enough to let you hit it. To this end I bought a Leapers UTG 4X AO scope for my svelt little tuned HW30S, as an upgrade from the peep sights I've had on it for a while. The Leapers 4X comes with a very nice set of dovetail rings with recoil lug provision. Usually rings that come with scopes are just junk, but these are really nice, as you can see in the pics. Upon opening the package I looked the scope over and tried all the controls, and was duly impressed. The AO was smooth and solid, the ocular adjusment for your vision was solid and stiff as it should be to deter unwanted movement, and the semi target turrets provide solid, highly decernable clicks. All in all, very good for a scope costing $59. The reticle is the standard mil-dot, and is just a bit too thick for my liking. This is one of the few minor nits I have about this scope. The reticle does make it hard to hit bullet holes, or small objects unless you get creative with your aiming point within the reticle. It doesn't kill the deal, but it's something to be aware of.

I mounted the scope and withing a few minutes, I had it sighted in with ease. Clicks were repeatable and accurate. One of the shortcomings of cheap scopes is that they often change impact with power change or AO setting changes. I've had particular problems with Hawke Airmax scopes changing with AO changes, so I had to give the Leapers a thorough test to see if it suffered the same fate. Well, from any distance from 5 or 6 yards out to 60 yards, the scope held it's zero no matter where the AO was set, actually stellar performance indeed! While I was at it, I moved the POI adjustment several inches in every concievable direction and back to zero with absolutely no change when brought back to zero, so again, great permance. The ultimate test of a scope, any scope, if the proverbial box test, for that I shot a 3 shot group at my zero of 15 yards, the down 20 clicks and left 20 clicks for three shots, up for 40 clicks and three shots, right 40 clicks and three shots, down 40 clicks and three shots, the left 20 clicks and up 20 clicks to my original zero and three more shots on top of the original three. Well, it held zero fine as you can see form the photo of the target. I'm not sure what happened in the upper left group, I may have mis-counted the clicks. That brings us to the second minor nit with this scope, there is no provision to re-zero the turrets after sighting in. What do I expect for $60 ? right?? Yeah, I agree, it's a pretty minor problem, easily remedied by placing a 3/4" stick on dot on top of the turret and making your own marks.

The glass on this scope is very good indeed, another great surprise. Flare and distortion are very well controlled and lens coatings are effective. Clarity is very good indeed, with objects at varying distances very clear when AO was properly adjusted, a real pleasure from such a budge scope. I was actually very impressed with the glass in this scope, being used to Weaver Classic V, Sightron SII Big Sky and Leupold scopes, this is pretty amazing. I'm not saying this little scope is in a league with a Big Sky, but it's PLENTY clear enough for airgun fun and even light target shooting, if you can use an edge of a dot as an aiming point.

All in all, this is a great value for a scope, and it does what a scope is supposed to do. I hope this is not a fluke, but that it is a typical example of a good value! Next, I'm going to try out a Leapers Golden Image 3-9X32.
    http://pages.suddenlink.net/bchannell/UTGbox.jpg
    http://pages.suddenlink.net/bchannell/hw30s.jpg

Great review, have been thinking of a utg swat scope and your comments have helped my decision, thanks
    Peter