Thread: BSA no 2

BSA no 2

Hi Guys
    Just purchased a BSA Standard no 2 Serial no S717 and wondering if anyone could assist in dating it
    thanks
    craig

According to Mr Knibbs prefix S is .22 and CS is .177 both prefix in the same serial no batch CS being in the minority. First S serial no 1 made 6.10.1919 serial 6000 started in 1920. So it is reasonable to assume your was made late october early nov 1919.

At Bisley gun fair today there was a Lincoln Jeffries First batch serial 500 something for £300. unfortunatelly it was just to rough for my liking, too pitted, sanded down finish, and a broken stock but repaired well. Such a shame.

Thanks Badpidgeon rifle is in a faily good nick and just requires a trigger guard Upu input appreciated
    cheers
    craig

bore size

What is the true bore size of the number 2 Bsa as we require a licence for 5.6mm.
    thanks
    Craig

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by craig durant View Post
    What is the true bore size of the number 2 Bsa as we require a licence for 5.6mm.
    thanks
    Craig
    Hi Craig, it's 0.22" ie 5.6mm I am afraid

(Assuming it says "load 2" in front of the loading tap).

ATB, Ed

Agreed - 1919 for the Standard No 2. I have S117, which may be up for sale shortly as I overspent at Bisley today - nothing new there! That early Lincoln #533 has been on display for some time - agreed too rough for the asking price. The dealer who had it usually haggles though. He knocked £500 off a rifle I bought today, although the initial price was somewhat 'ambitious'!

John

BSA no 2

I Paid the equivalent of 135 pounds for the no 2 as well as light model serial no L7091 in .177 Both in good shooting condition

cheers
    craig

I Paid the equivalent of 135 pounds for the no 2 as well as light model serial no L7091 in .177 Both in good shooting condition

cheers
    craig
    Well done Craig. Sounds like you found a bargain.

These old BSAs shoot magnificently.

John

thanks
    Craig
    That really surprises me for a country where personal protection firearms are apparently common!

Is it just a formality i.e. apply and receive, or are there in-depth checks?

Just curious, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

I am not sure if i made this up or actually read somewhere but at the back of my mind i remember a well known British pellet maker that shell not be named under the pressure of a significant American customer changed the pellet size from 5.6 mm to 5.5 mm which meant those pellets would drop down the barrel or just be loose fit same as german pellets at the time. This was followed by a swift court action by BSA. I am thinking probably breach of contract between the two manufacturers but i imagine other pellet makers had seen this as a gap in the market and were only too happy to oblige. Anyway that is my two pence.

licencing

Unfortunately it is not as easy as apply and receive. Maximum fire arms permmited if four viz one self defence hand gun a shot gun and two hunting rifles. Should you want more you need to join a club and be a dedicated hunter and submit annual hunting returns after having done a practical and theoretical exam .Most guys dont want to waste licences on air rifles and a licence can take a number of months to be approved. Without the right motivation it just gets declined. The other option is to join a collectors association which requires a theme and and acceptance in not that easy. In depth checks are done and testimonials are required from family and friends stating that you are of sober habits and are naturally sane

cheers
    craig

I didn't realise the clocks went back today so turned up at Bisley at 7 instead of 8 as the dealers were setting up and that is a first for me so i got a good look at the rifles before most people turned up. The man with the most air rifles had one not too bad second batch BSA LJ patent for what appeared as a reasonable price the catch was fore and rear sights were welded not so well, why why do people do that so gave it a miss shame again. another interesting LJ refinished badly not collector material other few bits and pieces also with problems. Nearly bought an Airsporter mk2 good etching for £150 as i was reaching for the wallet in excitement spotted the scope rail had cut through the top of the action exposing the internals, again miss gutted.

Unfortunately it is not as easy as apply and receive. Maximum fire arms permmited if four viz one self defence hand gun a shot gun and two hunting rifles. Should you want more you need to join a club and be a dedicated hunter and submit annual hunting returns after having done a practical and theoretical exam .Most guys dont want to waste licences on air rifles and a licence can take a number of months to be approved. Without the right motivation it just gets declined. The other option is to join a collectors association which requires a theme and and acceptance in not that easy. In depth checks are done and testimonials are required from family and friends stating that you are of sober habits and are naturally sane

cheers
    craig
    Thanks for clarification, Craig.

It hardly seems worth it, either from the side of the government, or the shooter.

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Out of interest what would happen if you were using something like RWS Superfield pellets 5.51mm box says 5.5mm. In my experiance they have slightly wider skirting very decent pellets so may actually fit your rifle but i can not guarantee this as it depands on the batch etc.. And you got pulled over by the police the pellet box says 5.5mm it is nearly 100 years old air rifle would you be worried?

legally 5.6mm requires a licence .I doubt the police would do anything as they do not seem to worried about air rifles but should they want to be full of bull you could be arrested for illegal possession of the air rifle but not for the pellets as they have no propellant.the other law is if the air rifle exceeds 16 joules of energy then it will be treated as a firearm and therefore will require a licence. Still unsure of who or how the police will measure this

cheers
    craig