Thread: brass/copper tip for rod?

brass/copper tip for rod?

Hi all, looking to make a rod, other than the shaft, what would be the best material to act as a cap ? I'v had suggestions of brass (in the form of a .45 L/C) or copper cap would either score the barrel though? thanks for any info you can suggest

Neither brass or copper will score the bore, they are both softer than the steel used on the barrel. Brass would be the best material to use as it resists corrosion better than copper.
    If you stand the rod on the ground after you have loaded the gun make sure you do not pick up any grit, that will score the bore.

thanks for the info, will make one up at the weekend, cheers

I use a solid brass rod about 880mm long and 12mm dia for loading my .50 muzzleloader.
    It was recommended by a friend after seeing me struggle and almost snap the flimsy wooden rod that came with my rifle. This was after about six shots the loading ( minnie bullet , no wad ) becomes "difficult"

I paid about a tenner delivered from Diamond Enginnering supplies via .

Best investment ever.

Mark

Iv made one for my .577 Musketoon out of 1/2" dowl with a wooden round door handle on top. No cap fitted. It works
    a treat and being wood theres no chance of damaging the barrel. Iv made it just long enough to do the job so theres no
    excess dowl to flex unnecessarily. I prop it up in the corner of the bench after loading which keeps it clean and to hand
    for loading. Tim

If you can track down a big game hunter.. a .375 Magnum Belted case fits the end of 3/8 dowel like a glove..

I know a guy in our local zoo who has one (...don't ask!)