Thread: BSA light pattern spring availability?

BSA light pattern spring availability?

Does anyone know if there is an alternative place to purchase a spring for the above mentioned rifle from? I rang John Knibbs shop they are awaiting delivery but i don't think this will happen any time soon as the Italian deal not agreed yet. Chambers gold spring i don't think so plus i bought stuff that doesn't even remotely fit in the past. Is there another alternative that is proven to fit the light pattern? Tx chaps

Quote Originally Posted by BadPigeon View Post
    Does anyone know if there is an alternative place to purchase a spring for the above mentioned rifle from? I rang John Knibbs shop they are awaiting delivery but i don't think this will happen any time soon as the Italian deal not agreed yet. Chambers gold spring i don't think so plus i bought stuff that doesn't even remotely fit in the past. Is there another alternative that is proven to fit the light pattern? Tx chaps
    I once fitted a NOS Mk1 Airsporter spring in a Standard which has the same bore cylinder as the Light Pattern, so presumably a cut down one would fit in a Light? But I haven't actually done it. Edbear2 will know.

If you get the exact dimensions, I think POK! on here might be able to have a spring made up.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Try Protek...

http://www.proteksupplies.co.uk/bsa-...jor-parts.html

...scroll down about 2/3 down the page...

" B59 - Mainspring for BSA Ladies/light pattern air rifle. with 8” total length cylinder properly designed for this model. Not a “titanic” great spring which needs cutting down but a suitable length flat ended spring which will give adequate power in these old ladies! (will not fit juvenile models due to slimmer cylinder diameter) £16.00 "
    blah blah

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    Try Protek...

http://www.proteksupplies.co.uk/bsa-...jor-parts.html

...scroll down about 2/3 down the page...

" B59 - Mainspring for BSA Ladies/light pattern air rifle. with 8” total length cylinder properly designed for this model. Not a “titanic” great spring which needs cutting down but a suitable length flat ended spring which will give adequate power in these old ladies! (will not fit juvenile models due to slimmer cylinder diameter) £16.00 "
    Yep...or Chambers do a flatwound one which works well (I have never tried the Airsporter route by the way).

ATB, Ed

Many thanks gentleman, protek spring has now been ordered to give the old lady a new lease of life.

Great place!

I love visiting Protek; they are just up the road from me, and are an Aladdin's cave of stuff, plus they are very knowledgable.

@ BadPigeon - What's a Chambers Gold spring, never heard of those before

There was a spring that was gold coloured just doesnt look right i didnt mean to insinuate It was made of gold 😳 Update on the spring front. Finally i got around to fitting the spring from protek, polished the ends off as a bit rough and sharp as well as ends not perfectly flat. Same length as the original spring for BSA light imp model D from 1910 rifle length 39in so got a bit excited but didnt last long. Way too wide spring inside diameter for the spring guide. Too loose fit and rattling about so i decided not to fit the spring as i am not sure if this could damage the rifle, gutted. Will try John Knibbs when springs eventually become available.

Quote Originally Posted by BadPigeon View Post
    There was a spring that was gold coloured just doesnt look right i didnt mean to insinuate It was made of gold �� Update on the spring front. Finally i got around to fitting the spring from protek, polished the ends off as a bit rough and sharp as well as ends not perfectly flat. Same length as the original spring for BSA light imp model D from 1910 rifle length 39in so got a bit excited but didnt last long. Way too wide spring inside diameter for the spring guide. Too loose fit and rattling about so i decided not to fit the spring as i am not sure if this could damage the rifle, gutted. Will try John Knibbs when springs eventually become available.
    Hi,

Sorry to hear that you're disappointed with the spring you got from Protek. However, if the only thing stopping you fitting it is that the ID is bigger than the original spring?...you can pack the spring guide by wrapping a bit of plastic around it (coke bottle, fairy liquid bottle, etc,)...doing this will take up the slack to stop the spring buckling under load, and should allow you to use the spring as intended. If there is room, wrap a bit around the outside aswell and you'll probably find the gun is smoother to cock.

Costs nothing, no mods to the gun and all easily reversible...gotta be worth a try
    blah blah