Thread: Lp53 barrel paint question

Lp53 barrel paint question

Anyone know what a good paint match would be for the Walther LP53 black alluminium barrel shroud ?
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

I used Halfords acrylic satin black on the last one I did some years ago. Halfords etching primer seems to give a good base coat.
    Seems to be a common problem not only on the 53 barrels, but also the LP2's & 3's once they've had a fair bit of use.

I don't have one to hand to check, but for the smooth finish you need Cerakote which is hard as nails and made for firearms, Frost do a paint finish that approximates the crackle effect

Can you post a pic of the barrel?

The crackle finish is perfect, it's just the barrel. I'm no LP53 expert but to me it looks like the steel barrel is pressed into the black shroud which again, to me, doesn't feel like steel so proper blueing is out of the question I think. It's a shame as apart from the barrel the gun is perfect.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    The crackle finish is perfect, it's just the barrel. I'm no LP53 expert but to me it looks like the steel barrel is pressed into the black shroud which again, to me, doesn't feel like steel so proper blueing is out of the question I think. It's a shame as apart from the barrel the gun is perfect.
    As you say, the shroud surrounding the barrel is of an alloy construction, so a paint job is the easiest option.
    Cerakote sounds to be another good option, possibly more hardwearing than the Satin Black Acrylic I used.

When I bought my first 53 my oily rag took most of the paint off the barrel.
    So I stripped the barrel section to repaint.
    But then I liked the two tone look so I left it as it was.
    Get round to painting it one day!
    It won't rust and it has been three years now!