Thread: powder storage/flask or rebottle?

powder storage/flask or rebottle?

HI,

Quick question ? filled flask for a evenings shooting at the club (777) whats recommended? put back in the bottle at the end of the night or will it be ok in the flask for a period of time?
    Thanks

I would have thought it would be ok for a while but do consider the safety aspects. Shut up in its own airtight pot is probably safer!

I never use a flask except for filling plastic vials as none of the ranges I use allow flasks on the firing point. (...because they can make a very efficient hand grenade!)

Steve

Just to add to post #2 that direct loading from flask into the chamber/muzzle of any kind of front loader is now prohibited on ranges in Europe for reasons of safety, and has been so for many years, hence the popularity of various types of loading phial in glass or plastic of one kind or another.

Of course, what you do in the comfort of your own home is entirely up to you.

As for emptying out the flask and putting it back in the original container, I've been doing it for years with no discernible reduction of shooting performance, but then, being a pretty crappy shot, I don't spose I'd notice. I'm only there for the noise, dirt and commotion.

tac

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Flasks are not airtight, so there is the potential for moisture to leach into the powder. You might be lucky and have dry storage conditions, but why risk it? I always return unused powder to the bottle it came in - this also means that you never get mixed up about what powder you have in the flask. You might use only one powder today, but I am pretty confident that the time will come when you want to try something else, so now is the time to cultivate good habits.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

As per Steve and Tac. Have never used a flask as don't like the idea of holding a pot of powder over a hot barrel. I use phials for revolver
    and a bench mounted measure for .577 and single shot pistol. I never bothered emptying my containers at the end of a session as i use
    the same powder each time and never noticed any loss of performance. Tim

Cheers Guys, thanks for the advice and as normal safety first, so it's back to the drawing board and keep it simple.

powder storage/flask or rebottle?

My problem is that if I leave powder in a flask for any period of time I'm likely to forget the grade of powder. Here in the States black powder comes in metal cans, is that the same as the bottles to which you all refer? I store these cans in metal ammo cans as a protection against flames but I'm mindful that they also create a hazard if the powder explodes. There is a reason why powder mills merely tack on the building's siding. When I owned and fired a civil war cannon (original 3" Ordnance Rifle) I left a goodly quantity of cannon powder in a dog house well away from the house.