Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kinetic Hammer

Get a Dillon hammer.

All hammers they are much of a muchness, but Dillon have a lifetime guarantee and collets sometimes do get broken, especially if you have a load of light bullets to pull. Dillon will replace any part FOC.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyB View Post
    I find ear plugs perfect for this..... As your posting in the reloading section, I pressume you have some?
    Hi Sandy, yep mate...I do, I drive for a sawmill, so have stacks of them about the truck..

Some great advice so far....

Thanks guys..

Don't strike too firmly with the hammer - let it bounce. The reversal of direction increases the inertia effect. You should get bullet out in fewer strikes and with less bruising to the hammer face.

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Thanks for all the great advice and info guys, now sorted with a hammer, and already done a few rounds...

Quote Originally Posted by Norrie View Post
    Thanks for all the great advice and info guys, now sorted with a hammer, and already done a few rounds...
    I trust the earplug came handy? Depending on the powder, you may find some will get inbetween the earplug and the wall side of the hammer. This is okay so long as your not relying on not remeasuring the powder.

Are you completely pulling or just knocking out prior to reseating?

Hi Sandy, When I bought my .222 I got a good few reloaded rounds with it..., so, I'm stripping them down, and want to reuse the heads and cases..powder is getting burnt off..no idea what type it is. tho, its one of three types I got with the reloading gear, so, not taking chances. . Not really sure what to do re the primers and how to get them out ( if indeed it's safe to do) before tumbling the cases......

BTW, Earplug worked a treat...

Hi Sandy, When I bought my .222 I got a good few reloaded rounds with it..., so, I'm stripping them down, and want to reuse the heads and cases..powder is getting burnt off..no idea what type it is. tho, its one of three types I got with the reloading gear, so, not taking chances. . Not really sure what to do re the primers and how to get them out ( if indeed it's safe to do) before tumbling the cases......

why bother removing the primers? just pull back the resizing ball so the pin doesn't reach far enough in to touch the primer and resize, no need to tumble either at this stage. however if you must, then just gently deprime them in the same way as normal, wear eye protection and don't go at it hammer and tongs and all will be well.
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Thanks for that there have been threads regarding dropping the brass / primers into an oil to deactivate the primer such that it won't accidentally discharge when being pushed out whilst still effectively being 'live'. Others have posted they have safely deprived live primers with no issues, the thread goes into a bit of detail on this. I've had a quick look, but can't find the specific thread. As you say, knowing the primer is key, so the stripping depending on the numbers involved is sometimes the only way.

Graham2 is offline Slightly camp, makes decent chilli, and has a box of tissues and a can of 3 In 1 in the gun room
    I've de-primed loads of live primers over the years; in fact I did around 30 today, I've never had one pop on me yet and doubt I ever will. Even if I did, what's going to happen? A little pop inside a die isn't going to cause me any danger.

I'm not being complacent by the way, just realistic.
    Not camp, Gary just wishes I were!