Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kinetic Hammer

Kinetic Hammer

Hi Guys, Brand new to reloading, and expecting to make some bloomers,...so, what hammer would you recommend?? or, are they all much of a muchness...

Thanks in advance...

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    I have a Quinetics and it works just fine. To be honest, I was not aware that there are other brands but I suppose there must be.

Provided it works for the calibre/cartridges you plan to reload, I would not expect there to be much to choose between them
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

yes they all do the same job

collets to suit the casing and BANG until the round pulls apart !

personally i would purchase the "ABC's of reloading"....about £14 ....very good reference publication
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

if your loading say 17 cal or 20 cal i would buy a puller die thingy if the bullets are say 50 grains plus the kinetic hammers work well.
    when i first started with a 20 cal with lots of neck tension they took a bit of doing with a hammer lol

Hiya, I'll be reloading .222 and 243...and hopefully wont need to use the hammer too often...

I've got a couple of good books already, and one that was recommended by a chap on here, is coming from Amazon..

Quote Originally Posted by zx10mike View Post
    if your loading say 17 cal or 20 cal i would buy a puller die thingy if the bullets are say 50 grains plus the kinetic hammers work well.
    when i first started with a 20 cal with lots of neck tension they took a bit of doing with a hammer lol
    As above, but sometimes the kinetic is handy to nudge the bullet back out to reseat to the correct depth. Collets are handy for bullet removal, but would always opt for the kinetic first.

Buy a Puller so much better than a hammer !!

If you are using a hammer then a lump hammer is a good face to hit on as it dosent absorb the kinetic energy. I broke a hammer so now just use the lathe with collets to pull the bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by zx10mike View Post
    I can vouch for that...pulled some .17Rem the other day and the average was 21 strikes on a lump hammer. Got a good tip from Spud though, if you knacker the alloy collet you can always use a shellholder to hold the case in the hammer.

The advantage of the kinetic hammers is that you could re-use the bullet but with the collet dies you're likely to put a crimp ring around it. OK you could re-use it but it probably wouldn't perform as per a normal bullet.

Fizz
    http://www.nightvisionforumuk.com...... you know it makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by SandyB View Post
    As above, but sometimes the kinetic is handy to nudge the bullet back out to reseat to the correct depth. Collets are handy for bullet removal, but would always opt for the kinetic first.
    +1 on that

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbangwhallop View Post
    I can vouch for that...pulled some .17Rem the other day and the average was 21 strikes on a lump hammer. Got a good tip from Spud though, if you knacker the alloy collet you can always use a shellholder to hold the case in the hammer.

The advantage of the kinetic hammers is that you could re-use the bullet but with the collet dies you're likely to put a crimp ring around it. OK you could re-use it but it probably wouldn't perform as per a normal bullet.

Fizz
    Exactly this.... I have both and opted to use the collet to pull and dump the pulled SP Privi bullets, as once pulled they weren't much use for anything.

I just bought a Frankford Arsenal puller from Emmett and Stone in Little Marlow, £12 in their sale. It seems to work ok, the handle's a bit uncomfortable but wrap something round it and it's ok. I found a few shockers in a box of bits I bought earlier this week, including a round primed & bullet seated but no powder...

Fizz
    With the hammer I've found that v-max tips get slightly deformed when they finally come out of the case. I haven't reused any yet to see how they shoot but if they look flattened to my eye then I'm sure it would affect the BC, FMJ or soft points would prob be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    With the hammer I've found that v-max tips get slightly deformed when they finally come out of the case. I haven't reused any yet to see how they shoot but if they look flattened to my eye then I'm sure it would affect the BC, FMJ or soft points would prob be ok.
    Stick a bit of sponge down the end of the hammer chamber.
    http://www.nightvisionforumuk.com...... you know it makes sense!

Stick a bit of sponge down the end of the hammer chamber.
    I find ear plugs perfect for this..... As your posting in the reloading section, I pressume you have some?