Thread: Mild loads?

Mild loads?

I’m still playing with my toy !

I have been wondering about trying to load down a .22 Hornet to make a milder round for use on rabbits. Is this feasible, even down to subsonic levels. I presume it's not just a case of less powder, also considering the volume of powder in the case. I would like to use 35gr. bullets, Hornady V-Max or similar. What problems/ dangers might I encounter?

I think what you are looking for is called .22LR or .17HMR lol

In order to slow things down a heavier bullet is normally used rather than a light one. trying to slow things usually uses less powder which can cause a detonation rather than a burn which is a bad thing. Case fill percentages need to be kept high so you will probably have to search for a new powder.....

If the reason for a milder load is carcass damage look at bullet construction. VMax is not your friend. Look at a soft point bullet.

We used to shoot a lot of hares with a hornet and I think it was Winchester HP type ammo. We got a lot of carcass damage. By chance we ran out of ammo and could only get S&B soft points. Carcass damage was reduced so much we never went back to Winchester.

Mark
    My karma ran over your dogma

Just shoot at the bit that's attached to the bunny's shoulders.

What the issue

As chatting with my RFD the other day about hornet loadings, he used to run a 40gr bullet with 9 grains of powder which he said was virtually as quiet as a .22 sub, I think he said he used coffee to pack the case out!
    Thanks for looking

Mild loads

Best thing to do with the sh1te coffee-substitute stuff you have over here.

tac

Talking

foxshooter - I've got a couple of .22 lr's and have sold my 17 (fed up with trying to shoot it in the wind), this is just for fun and to see if I can do it. Carcase damage is not the issue, at low velocities the V-Max won't expand anyhow.

sir-slots-alot - when I do that there is no need to remove the head when dressing !!!

Boydy - wouldn't pouring coffee into the case wet the powder ? lol

I've found some info on Trailboss powder, very bulky and fills the case for low velocities, I think Kranks have some.

Lyman CAST bullet handbook has loads down to 1060/1050fps with their 55 grain bullet and red dot/700X. You will probably have to cast your own.

Trail boss is meant to work down to about 2/3 of case capacity on most stuff.

Don't try it with jacketed as you might get them stuck in the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by sir-slots-alot View Post
    just shoot at the bit that's attached to the bunny's shoulders.

What the issue
    +1 to the above

If you slot bugs in the sweede with a hornet then it generally aides skinning time as the head is completely removed leaving a nice clean body for the pot!