Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pellet trap idea?

Pellet trap idea?

Hi all,
    Beginner in the world of airguns and will soon be venturing into pistol shooting. Got a small garden but I would still like to practise, So I was thinking of making a pellet trap out of 8x4 sheet of 9mm ply or Osb and stapling some old carpet to it, Think it'll take out the noise on pellet impact?

Thanks
    Dan

carpet will take the noise out of it you could also use a tin with some plumbers mate in it

For zeroing i use a yellow pages wrapped in gaffa tape its really effective at both noise reduction and pellet trap
    nil satis nisi optimum

Quote Originally Posted by CLASHED View Post
    For zeroing i use a yellow pages wrapped in gaffa tape its really effective at both noise reduction and pellet trap
    Also good poor mans air rifle chrono. Up to page 300 probably legal. Page 600 get an FAC !

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Cardboard box (e.g. crisps carton from the corner shop) stuffed with old clothes. Very quiet and lightweight, and it collects the pellets for you.
    AA TX200, HFT 500, AS400 .22
    Daystate Grand Prix & Mk3
    Parker-Hale/PAX Phoenix Mk2: .22 & .177

Harry is offline World Recoiling Champion 2014
    Breeze block is nice and quiet too but eventually if you shoot the same spot all the time it will go through but I use a nice square box with Argos catalogues in it and works a treat and also free
    Harry.

Anything that avoids rebounds. Carpet stapled to ply might rebound. And if you tend to fix your targets in the same place, it'll definately rebound if the shots have nibbled a hole in the carpet layer.

Thats where a box of rags is really good. Adding another couple of rags when the middle gets thin, and gaffer tape to repair the front where you shoot and pin your targets.

If you want a really big extra-safety backstop around / above the box, perhaps a big piece of carpet hanging from a length of fixed batten or washing line.

Like the old wartime trick: A wet army blanket will stop bullets

Old jeans in a cardboard box does the job perfectly with very little noise.

Thanks everyone,
    Good excuse to clear out the girlfriends excessive clothes collection from our wardrobe.

Dan

safe,quiet target

Quote Originally Posted by KeithW View Post
    Cardboard box (e.g. crisps carton from the corner shop) stuffed with old clothes. Very quiet and lightweight, and it collects the pellets for you.
    What he said. I use such as its quiet and safe . I occasionaly empty lead from the layers of clothing but initialy I remove zips and buttons .
    I use a rag bag for crossbow arrows too. Dead quiet very very effective.

I use a strong cardboard box stuffed with old carpet and with a sheet of steel at the back in case hole is punched through. A sheet of hardboard covers front of box and a target is attached to a square cut-out in the board to which a target is fixed by a bulldog clip. It works fine and also collects pellets.

Another one for the 'argos catalogue in a cereal box with a bit of cardboard wedged in for good measure' school of thought. Free (discounting the cereal of course) and quiet, and just about the right size for garden plinking/zeroing. I do also have an mdf tabletop behind that for errant bullets (very rare)
    HW98 .177, Falcon Menace 4.5-18x56, WW tune HW97 blue laminate .177, Hawke eclipse 4-16x50 ir BSA Scorpion se tactical .177 ,BSA deerhunter 6.5-32×46 SMK XS78, .22 3-9x40 Mountmaster- Remington Express xp tactical .22, standard - Gamo CF20 .177 - mk1 meteor .177

Using carpet, old clothes, argos catalogues, plumber's mate putty etc. is ok, but messy. If you're going to recycle the lead (worthwhile if you plink a lot and have a local scrap metal dealer, better for the environment than putting your old pellets in landfill) it's a lot more convenient to make up a wooden or metal box and put a few thicknesses of roofing lead in the back. You need about half an inch thickness in total for pistols, more if you're going to shoot rifles into it. Surprisingly backstops made of lead are almost silent when pellets hit them, very little noise at all, you also will not have the hassle of sifting through masses of shredded paper, cloth or putty when you collect the lead for recycling. They also last pretty much forever if you make them thick enough and don't need replacing like the above suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Also good poor mans air rifle chrono. Up to page 300 probably legal. Page 600 get an FAC !

Baz
    Like that it made me larf
    nil satis nisi optimum

http://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/15/68/21/07/img-2018.jpg
    A plastic gallon can
    A square hole
    2 metal strips
    A few rivets
    A few magnets
    Some wheel balancing weight for stability
    An old catalog