Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Improved Mod D Holts Pictures

BSA Improved Mod D Holts Pictures

Hi,

Some nice pictures now available of the cased BSA improved Mod D coming up at the Holts December sale.

The rifle has a factory fitted 21a rear sight and appears to come with a number of contemporary accessories including a BSA spanner.

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com...2894&saletype=

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 15-11-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)
    Now that is really nice - thanks for posting the link!
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com

An Interesting set. Not sure if the case is original, as BSA RIFLE is usually stencilled on the inside of the case rather than BSA AIR RIFLE on the outside. Could be an additional panel has been fitted to the inside lid? This is one set I'd like to examine close up and should make an interesting addition to someone's collection.

John

Smile

What a beauty and seemingly in original condition, would be interesting to know if it had come directly from the wild blue yonder or from a collector or dealer. I wonder if all the accessories have been with it since back in the day, or painstakingly put together in modern times. Either way its a splendid air rifle and I would love to own it, though the estimate does make me wince a little
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Oooh nice

so if the hammer price is 1000 you pay an extra 250 and vat ,,,

and the bloke selling what he pay ,,,

it doesnt end there

Quote Originally Posted by ratshot5 View Post
    so if the hammer price is 1000 you pay an extra 250 and vat ,,,
    I notice you have spotted the VAT, which is also to pay by the buyer on the premium, so in your example: £1000 + 25% premium + (20% X £250) making a grand total of £1300.
    There is a sliding scale for the premium 20% up to £5000, 22.5% from £5000 - £75000, and lastly it drops to a mere 20% above £75000.
    Holts for all their good points are now one of the most expensive auctioneers if your buying, and as with any auction you really need to read the terms and conditions to ensure you don't get caught out with unexpected costs.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ratshot5 View Post
    and the bloke selling what he pay ,,,

What he pay - plenty.

Where he pay - through nose!

It sometimes seems as if we're working for the auctioneers rather than the other way round. 3 years ago I bought a 1931 Rolls Woody estate, purely to sell. For me to take £1000 out of it Bonhams would have had £3000. Granted the venue, Yorkshire Showground, Harrogate, couldn't have been cheap but it was also £20 for a catalogue, which admitted 2.

The mice really are in charge of the cheese, Mick

I think I'd rather have the IMD than the £1000. It's gorgeous!
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Bonhams may now be a bit preoccupied with the claim against them for 11 million quid.
    They allegedly sold a Ferrari with disputed ownership.

I can feel an 'off peak' rail return to London coming on, even if just to take a closer look at this interesting set.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 16-11-2014 at 11:14 AM.

Somebody explain how the cleaning rod works It looks way to big to clean the barrel with. Looks more like a fly rod

The loading / trigger adjusting spanner is extremely sought after on its own… 2 quid on the lottery tonight me thinks…. VAT paid on the ticket price not on the winnings of course…..

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Somebody explain how the cleaning rod works It looks way to big to clean the barrel with. Looks more like a fly rod
    The description says a cleaning rod is present but a cynic might ask if it fits the bore of this rifle?

I think the set could do with a closer examination as the case lid hinges on the opposite side to the genuine cases known to me, which BSA themselves described as being made of Pine rather than Cedar in their contemporary literature.

Would the original owner have fed the rifle on a diet of Lanes Cat Slugs, having forked out on all those associated extras? I don't think so. Maybe he just thought the tin more durable than a cardboard carton of BSA pellets and simply emptied waisted pellets into the tin - I do this myself on occasion.

Perhaps Abasmajor can go on a reconnaissance mission on behalf of the rest of us? I'm certainly curious but if I was looking to buy, I would be reluctant to place a bid without very close scrutiny. Having said that if anyone on here does place a successful bid I would love to examine what is undoubtedly a very interesting set. I wonder who F L H was?

John

a new one on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    The description says a cleaning rod is present but a cynic might ask if it fits the bore of this rifle?

I think the set could do with a closer examination as the case lid hinges on the opposite side to the genuine cases known to me, which BSA themselves described as being made of Pine rather than Cedar in their contemporary literature.

Would the original owner have fed the rifle on a diet of Lanes Cat Slugs, having forked out on all those associated extras? I don't think so. Maybe he just thought the tin more durable than a cardboard carton of BSA pellets and simply emptied waisted pellets into the tin - I do this myself on occasion.

Perhaps Abasmajor can go on a reconnaissance mission on behalf of the rest of us? I'm certainly curious but if I was looking to buy, I would be reluctant to place a bid without very close scrutiny. Having said that if anyone on here does place a successful bid I would love to examine what is undoubtedly a very interesting set. I wonder who F L H was?

John
    Lanes cat slugs? were they ever available in No2 bore?
    eric