Thread: Muskett's scopes

Muskett's scopes

See my sales thread. Here to discuss anything scope wise.

Smile Scopes

Very very nice
    That must've taken some time to accumulate those beauty's!

Yes, and I've got a box of rubbish to prove it.

Optima Moonlighters were a great scope and the right size objective over a huge 50 or 56. In the 80's everybody was saying bigger was better but in my experience at this price range bigger was rubbish. I'll get a picture up but my favourite combination of all time is the optima 4x40 on a FWB Sport. I don't really like BDC's on springers. Optima's look right on HW, FWB Sports, and Original 45's.

Another great scope is the Tasco Prohorn. It has that deep blue glass, and Jap made. They are better than Optimas. I've saved myself one, though in truth you can't have too many as they are work horses. The first came out in about 1986; I think.

The B&L may be a Bushnell but is Jap built and their premium offering. Glass is superb, build quality oozes class, and has a very nice plex. They look right too on a sporting rifle. I have a few. This one would be perfect on a sporting .22LR Annie; well for someone who doesn't want all the toys now found on modern scopes. Better than a Leupolds up to MKIV's, and there probably its equal.

The early Nikko and Tasco: I think the Nikko has the better glass and is a true pre 1980 scope with a cross hair. The Tasco is one of those that got Tasco noticed. However, is not as bright as their best like the Prohorn and some TR, nor their best the Euro Class that came much later. Then they blew it by going cheep.
    Sadly, I just don't have the right rifles to put them on.

I'll add more if this discussion takes off. Like to have other peoples thoughts.

Scopes

The optima would've complimented my standard 1983 mk1 '80' nicely
    My problem is, if I have a spare scope I end up buying a rifle to stick it on!

Most here wouldn't think that was a problem

Though Webley and BSA advertised branded scopes I don't think they bought many as they are very hard to find. Some I don't think ever existed.

Rifles are two a dozen, but period scopes are hard to find. Thankfully from 1982?? Sportsmatch can provide mounts. Mount marks are the other big one.