Thread: Bargin?

Bargin?

I have had a few bargins from my local Auction House in the past including a nearly "mint" Webley Mk2 Service [First pattern] but did not bid on the following item recently. BSA Airsporter Mk3 boxed, good cosmetic appearance, would not cock[piston/ seal problem], loading tap missaligned by at least 005" maybe 010".I expected bidding to go up to about £80. It started at £80 with 7 absentee bidders and eventually went for £125 + fees of a further £25. A bit overpriced I think. DISCUSS?
    Regards
    Daveh
    If you dont do it today, you might not be able to do it tomorrow!

I would not have bid more than £50.

As a regular visitor and buyer at auctions for the last forty five or more years, I long since ceased to be surprised at any results, from star items being almost given away, through lack of intersted bidders, to the most mundane item selling for far more than its worth because there were two people who, for some reason or another were determined not to let the other one have it. The most notable thing in recent times has been the advent of the internet, I see less and less slipping through at reasonable prices these days, when every collector in the world has access to the lowliest of auction rooms in the most obscure locations.
    Having said that, I'm sure that some of the 'home' bidders are well disapointed when they receive their heavily fought over prizes through the post.

PS. this is an 'across the board' observation, not just airguns.
    Mel.
    Last edited by mel h; 29-10-2014 at 10:30 PM. Reason: additions

Here's a real Bargain!