Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collectable airgun books

Collectable airgun books

I realise I probably have even more airgun books than I have airguns. And think some of you probably have lots too. What are your favourites? What would you recommend? Which books should all enthusiasts own? WHB Smith? Cardew? John Darling?

I could write a long list, but the three that are randomly closest to hand in my book pile as I type are:

- John Walter's "Airgun Book". I think I own at least four editions, but the one at hand is the 1984 edition, with the BSA Scorpion on the cover;

- BTDT's "Vermin Control with the Air Rifle (1988);

- Arthur Shepherd's "Guide to Airgun Hunting" (1987).

Airgun Digest 1/2 and 3 are favourites of mine.. Don't own a copy of no.1 by Bob Beeman yet- hint hint!

-Another vote for John Walter's "The Airgun Book" . Packed full of useful info and some interesting opinion plus first hand tests. 1st and 4th editions are my favourites.

-D.R.Hughes "A Handbook for owners of the HW35 series rifles".

-Some of the old catalogues, not strictly a book I know, but the AKAH catalogues for example are excellent references.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Seth View Post
    ... Don't own a copy of no.1 by Bob Beeman yet- hint hint!
    I've got a copy lurking somewhere (ISBN ending 641 IIRC?). Slightly yellowed pages, as they all are, owing to the paper quality on which they were printed.
    [pm me if it's of interest, I'll find what I paid for it and offer it at that price].

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Wheeler View Post
    -
    -D.R.Hughes "A Handbook for owners of the HW35 series rifles".

What's this?? Where can I get one??

Must have one!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

Indeed!

Plus the Cardew, "The Airgun From Trigger to Target".
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    What's this?? Where can I get one??

Must have one!
    It is a booklet of about 55-60 A5 sized pages, typed text containing observations, tips, stripdown advice and the like with drawings/cutaways and some photos. Several editions, the first being 1972 (?) and subsequently updated. Being of the period makes it all the more interesting IMO. There's also some coverage of the HW55.

Mine came from David Hughes himself when he attended the airgun fair organised by Charlie powderfinger in Solihull. I.J may have a few spares .
    David Hughes is also a forum member. I got the impression that he was "decluttering" prior to the above fair, hence the reason for selling catalogues, advertising material etc, so I have no idea if any remain, don't deluge him with pm's! I believe he reads these pages on occassion and may advise if copies are available and at what price.

Good luck

Who?

'The Blue Book Of Airguns' is the main one I keep on my desk. O.K. - so the prices are in $ but there is airguns in there that I have never heard of never mind seen.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

A third edition "Blue Book" is also in my book pile, as is Gordon Bruce's "Webley Air Pistols", and DT Fletcher's "The Crosman Model 160". Anyone got Fletcher's Crosman pistols book?

As a pistol collector -

Encyclopedia of Spring Air Pistols and Webley Air Pistols, primarily , with the odd reference to Hiller though he always underpriced, Gas Spring and etc as well for a few historical facts but refer to the start of the sentence for detail of my interests.

Do not rate the Blue Book (though I always have the latest edition) as there are a lot of omissions and incorrect details also all the prices are based on values in the USofA so not exactly relevent to here.

Obviously a smattering of other classics some of which I actually photocopied.
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    As well as the books mentioned 'CO2 Air Pistols' by James House is a particular favourite of mine and so is the 'Webley Air Rifles 1925-2005' by Christopher Thrale.

As the Blue Book tends to come out every 2 years and is getting to a ridiculous size now, would it not be better to have an updated vintage version with more historical detail and rectified mistakes published every 2 years and a modern version every other 2 years?

John

Amazon

A third edition "Blue Book" is also in my book pile, as is Gordon Bruce's "Webley Air Pistols", and DT Fletcher's "The Crosman Model 160". Anyone got Fletcher's Crosman pistols book?
    I re-released the pneumatic pistol book a couple of months ago. It should also be available on Amazon UK http://www.amazon.com/Crosman-Pneuma.../dp/1499542127

I also released a new updated version of the model 160 in color! http://www.amazon.com/Crosman-Arms-M...4741656&sr=1-1

I'm hard at work on an entirely new book and hope to have it ready is a couple of weeks.

Collectable books

Regarding collectable air gun books, in my opinion one of the really great books is Arne Hoff's Airguns and other Pneumatic Arms. Especially if I lived in Europe, this is the best book to have. It goes into detail about the interesting and historic air guns held in museum collections on the continent. Nothing else matches it in my opinion.

Get as many books as you can- air gun literature always has a short printing run!

When you are buying Dean's books at Amazon get "Plymouth's Air Gun Industry' as well-very interesting.

Also,

There is a nice copy of Gary Garber's Daisy Encyclopedia for sale at Gun Broker-$150(a good price)
    Last edited by trevor1; 31-10-2014 at 09:33 AM.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    I'm hard at work on an entirely new book and hope to have it ready is a couple of weeks.
    Any teaser details...?