Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Collectable airgun books

There are some interesting old manual re-prints on the USA bay…. I recently got a copy of “The book of BSA Air rifles (illustrated) c1911”…. Although it’s just an obvious paperback copy of the original it is very informative with 65 odd pages… I did note that an original sold at Bonhams auction for £400… They have a copy of the ‘Webley & Scott c1920s Mk I Air Rifle Manual’ if anyone should need a copy…. Only 13 pages for about £11.00 including postage, I'm not sure if these are available elsewhere but interesting nether the less…. The links for these reprints are below….

http://www./itm/BSA-c1911-Birmingham...item5654e5316e

http://www./itm/370791492857?_trksid...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here is an essential for all students of air gunnery

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=449535597

Four hundred and thirty odd pages packed with Daisy info-well illustrated to boot!

Something new

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Any teaser details...?
    I've learned to be very cautious about releasing any details of a new project. It seems that every time I do that, something happens and it doesn't get out. When the content is fixed and ready to publish, I will post the Table of Contents. This book has been a completely new challenge and a lot of fun, too.

Look forward to that DT!
    My own favourites would have to include John Darlings and all of the Walters books. I must admit to owning the first edition Beeman Airgun Digest and very good it remains to this day. Another favourite is the "Beeman R1" by Tom Gaylord. Out of print now but well worth a read if you can track a copy down.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Look forward to that DT!
    My own favourites would have to include John Darlings and all of the Walters books. I must admit to owning the first edition Beeman Airgun Digest and very good it remains to this day. Another favourite is the "Beeman R1" by Tom Gaylord. Out of print now but well worth a read if you can track a copy down.
    Andy
    Theres one on Amazon now - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ords=Beeman+R1 £643.

I'll pass.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

A mention for the books on vintage Lincoln Jeffries and BSA air rifles by John Knibbs, without which we'd be much the poorer. They're two of my favourites.

He has the second edition of the earlier book on sale HERE
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

i enjoy reading the airgun book 3rd edition,also blue book 11th edition,both essential reference,i have seen mixed reviews for air guns and air pistols by l wesley and wonder if any member could let me know if it is a book worth owning?,if so is their a particular edition as some reviews say that an early 70s has less info than earlier editions.thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    What's this?? Where can I get one??

Must have one!
    I have both the first 1972 edition written and published by D R Hughes and the 1981 edition written by D R Hughes and published by Optima Leisure products. At the front of the 1981 version under the heading "History" it provides the following information.

Written March to July 1972

Published September 1972

Minor revision January 1973

Supplement called "After Thoughts" bound into the handbook from July 1974, instead of a 2nd edition.

Reprinted with some minor revision and a new chapteron telescopic sights for Optima Leisure products of 75 Foxley Lane, Purley, Surrey: 1979

Completely revised with new photographs and reset in a different style for Optima Leisure Products: 1981.

It would appear that the may be an entire new collectors field for editions of the marvellous Mr Hughes informative jottings.

BTW he also handbooks for FWB 124 & 7, Haenel and Original. Probably even more that I have not mentioned.

How could I forget the D R Hughes books.

ive a few on the HW35, most with the HW55 mentioned in the back pages and one which mentions to the HW25/30 and 50 models plus the FWB Sport, Original 25,27, 35 & 50 models and catalogues dated 1972 and 1974 - the last one autographed!
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    How could I forget the D R Hughes books.

ive a few on the HW35, most with the HW55 mentioned in the back pages and one which mentions to the HW25/30 and 50 models plus the FWB Sport, Original 25,27, 35 & 50 models and catalogues dated 1972 and 1974 - the last one autographed!

The original 1972 edition contained the Home Office letter about tests done on the 35 in 1969 with results crediting it with an amazing m.v. and as a result informing the police that an fac would be reuired for these rifles. The Home Office also tested the ASI Sniper (El Gamo) and declared some specimens were capable of exceeding the prescribed limit
    The 1981 edition has the 55 mentioned in the back pages.

Is there any chance of some D R Hughes reprints, or Kindle versions? I'd buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Is there any chance of some D R Hughes reprints, or Kindle versions? I'd buy.
    Hi,

I don't know about reprints, too many problems. Plus I threw away the remains of the artwork a while ago. It was somewhat distressed as they say.

But keep your eye on auction sites and that book sellers website, where copies of my scribblings often turn up.

Sorry I can't help more.

Regards, David

Some very good reccomendations there, I have most of them menthioned. Particular faves, Jims book on Vermin Control, signded by the man himself,all of the John Walters books, Mr Flecthers excellent books on Crossmans, James Houses book on American Pump -Ups, Chriss Thrales book on Webley Rifles,. Forgot Mr Hughes excellent series, Have the ones on the HW35 and the Haenel 302.

Republish hint

Quote Originally Posted by D R Hughes View Post
    Hi,

I don't know about reprints, too many problems. Plus I threw away the remains of the artwork a while ago. It was somewhat distressed as they say.

But keep your eye on auction sites and that book sellers website, where copies of my scribblings often turn up.

Sorry I can't help more.

Regards, David
    Mr Hughes,
    I thought much the same thing with my older books. Production tools and time went away and so did the books. However, what has allowed me to get some of my books back in print is https://www.createspace.com. Createspace makes it incredibly easy to get books in print and sold on Amazon. For example http://www.amazon.com/The-Crosman-Ar.../dp/1499567197

All you would need is a copy of the book some scanning and a computer. Then sit back and let Amazon do all the work. If you don't have the computer etc. then you could work with somebody who has done it before. There's little excuse not to have a good book in print these days,
    Regards
    DT Fletcher

Original Airguns

Has there been a book printed specifically about Original/Diana airguns?