Thread: parallax - altering

parallax - altering

Any tips on adjusting the front lens of scopes. Got 4 different scopes on club rifles and not one of them will give a focused sight picture on our indoor 20 yard range.
    Peter Griffin :- Tell the other bears what you saw.... makes me laugh every time.

On most scopes you should be able to unlock the ring holding the objective lens in place,some are really tight though.Turn it slightly until the focus is at the desired range.

Get a rubber boa from b and q will help you undo the front of the scope and cause no damage. Do not use a vice or mole grips once front is loose its easy you can usually twist by hand. Then tighten it all back up sorted

I've met a few stubborn rings lately, I discovered a great way to get a grip on them, double sided foam tape, wrap it round, and use the other sticky side for your hand to grip with, works a treat. If you have any tape residue, wipe it off with nail varnish remover

In some scopes, the front lens carrier has two small slots opposite each outer, (there may be a locking ring on top.) You need to use a piece of broken hacksaw blade ground to the right length to unscrew it a bit. protect the front element with a circle of thin card. Worse case scenario is if the ring is glued in. I've never had the nerve to try and shift these.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    My tool kit is a pair of marigolds and a car body filler spreader!
    Master Debater

I had a Hawke sport that was easy done. I set it perfectly clear at 30yds, Making it good for 10 to 45yds. I next had a Hawke Panorama (non AO) and I'm sure that was glued in, I had it in hot water, under a hot hair dryer but never got it moving proper. I got a bit of adjustment eventually that made it better than the pre-set 100yds but I was afraid I was going to damage it. I make sure I only buy scopes with adjustable parallax (AO) now.
    John
    Someone said house work wont kill you, but I say 'why take that chance'
    www.airgunshooter.co.uk

Dont even think of trying anything with a German scope! On more affordable scopes, a rubber strapped filter wrench to undo the locking cap and some careful manoeuvring with a 12 inch steel rule in the lens slots usually works for me.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    My tool kit is a pair of marigolds and a car body filler spreader!
    I bet you do the washing up as well..!

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    You need to use a piece of broken hacksaw blade ground to the right length to unscrew it a bit.
    Why not use an optics wrench? That's what those slots are designed for. They are not expensive compared to a scope and can be easily adjusted to fit properly.

Quote Originally Posted by MTA123 View Post
    Why not use an optics wrench? That's what those slots are designed for. They are not expensive compared to a scope and can be easily adjusted to fit properly.
    Very useful, but at £34 I'd stick with home made tools for occasional use.

Gus

Thanks everyone. Think I'll remove the scopes and try them at home. No tools at the club.
    Peter Griffin :- Tell the other bears what you saw.... makes me laugh every time.

The front lens cap section had come loose on my Hawke Eclipse 3-9x50 the other day and I was considering re-paralaxing the scope,
    but I got a bit scared that all the nitrogen would leak out allowing condensation and or dust inside. So, I just tightened it up finger tight again.

Also, like old camera equipment, if airborne mold spores get inside, then mold can grow on the optics.

I was also a bit worried about trying to adjust the objective lens with nothing to judge where the new focus should be. Any advice on this?

It is annoying that my scope is blurred on my garden range at 15 yards, but it's nice and clear out to 50, which is the maximum I ever really shoot at.

Ouch!
    Ouch!
    Barn Door Scarer
    HW95k .22, HW50s .22, BSA Goldstar SE .177, AA 510 Ult Sporter .177

To reparallax most scopes you won't need to unscrew the lens carrier by more than one turn, if that, so you won't loose the nitrogen.
    HFT shooters usually set the parallax to about 29 yards, just put out a piece of newspaper at that range, and adjust the lens so that the image is sharp. (set the magnification to maximum.)
    this setting, with a 40mm objective, and 10X will make a target at 45 yards and 10 yards slightly blurred, so this helps with range estimation. Before you touch the parallax, make sure the eyebell adjustment makes the reticule in focus.

Gus

Followed the advice given and have just adjusted an early 80's 4x40 scope. From about 50 yard to 20 yard parallax adjustment only took a full turn anticlockwise. (marked with a soft pencil before I began.) Put locking collar back on, scope a joy to use at my normal ranges. WELL WORTH THE EFFORT.