Thread: Drilling stainless steel?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Drilling stainless steel?

I've got two stainless steel trigger guards to fit Weihrauch springers that I bought from BAR over ten years ago. They're nicely made and of good quality, but, for some reason, don't have holes for a screw driver to adjust trigger weight.

I have been thinking of buying a drill stand to fit my diy mains Bosch so I can drill vertically with some precision. Will that be OK or do I need special bits to go through stainless?

I also need to widen the holes slightly on the front of the trigger guard for the screw that holds the gun in the action. They were fine on my underlevers, which have a bolt arrangement screwed to the action, but too tight for my 99s which just has a hole in the action to accommodate the screw.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

The biggest problem you'll find is drill on a curved face; the drill will try to push away from the face rather than cut the stainless steel. I'd personally try it with a slot drill, which is a milling cutter as they have a flat bottom rather than a point. Oh, stainless is harder than M/Stl so you'll need to have a slower spindle speed and don't force it otherwise you'll burn the drill out.

Hello, if you have or can borrow one, a Dremmel type tool with a diamond coated burr ( pence for a pack from you know who.) works well. Makes a good 'non slip' start for a drill bit.
    I have before 'drilled' a hole with a burr.
    Just an Idea.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

I used to use a drill stand for a diy power drill:

1. if you have speed adjustment you loose torque at slower settings.
    2. They have a lot of movement and flex so accuracy is difficult.

I have acquired a floor standing pillar drill and the difference is huge when compared to the diy stand jobbie. Even my mates mini modern benchtop pillar drill is nothing in comparison.

Personally, if i did not have the right equipment i would take it somewhere to be done properly.

T
    :: Freelance Designer ::

Today, I broke my personal record for most consecutive days lived.

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll leave it to the experts.

I always appreciate the excellent advice I get on this forum.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

you need to start the hole with a center drill google it if you don't know what they look like.

Other options:
    -Just get an offset screwdriver or make one using an appropriate size "bit".

-Given how infrequently this adjustment is made it wouldn't be much of a hassle to simply remove the guard adjust, refit, test etc.

No need to mess with your nice SS trigger guard and a Pound or less for either of the above.