Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drilling stainless steel?

Drilling stainless steel?

I've got two stainless steel trigger guards to fit Weihrauch springers that I bought from BAR over ten years ago. They're nicely made and of good quality, but, for some reason, don't have holes for a screw driver to adjust trigger weight.

I have been thinking of buying a drill stand to fit my diy mains Bosch so I can drill vertically with some precision. Will that be OK or do I need special bits to go through stainless?

I also need to widen the holes slightly on the front of the trigger guard for the screw that holds the gun in the action. They were fine on my underlevers, which have a bolt arrangement screwed to the action, but too tight for my 99s which just has a hole in the action to accommodate the screw.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

The biggest problem you'll find is drill on a curved face; the drill will try to push away from the face rather than cut the stainless steel. I'd personally try it with a slot drill, which is a milling cutter as they have a flat bottom rather than a point. Oh, stainless is harder than M/Stl so you'll need to have a slower spindle speed and don't force it otherwise you'll burn the drill out.

Hello, if you have or can borrow one, a Dremmel type tool with a diamond coated burr ( pence for a pack from you know who.) works well. Makes a good 'non slip' start for a drill bit.
    I have before 'drilled' a hole with a burr.
    Just an Idea.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

I used to use a drill stand for a diy power drill:

1. if you have speed adjustment you loose torque at slower settings.
    2. They have a lot of movement and flex so accuracy is difficult.

I have acquired a floor standing pillar drill and the difference is huge when compared to the diy stand jobbie. Even my mates mini modern benchtop pillar drill is nothing in comparison.

Personally, if i did not have the right equipment i would take it somewhere to be done properly.

T
    :: Freelance Designer ::

Today, I broke my personal record for most consecutive days lived.

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll leave it to the experts.

I always appreciate the excellent advice I get on this forum.
    Arthur

you need to start the hole with a center drill google it if you don't know what they look like.

Other options:
    -Just get an offset screwdriver or make one using an appropriate size "bit".

-Given how infrequently this adjustment is made it wouldn't be much of a hassle to simply remove the guard adjust, refit, test etc.

No need to mess with your nice SS trigger guard and a Pound or less for either of the above.

ELMOR FUDD is offline Don't put your fingers where you wouldn't put your Cock
    You can adjust the trigger screw with out the guard on if your carefull then refit after your happy and then you dont need to drill a hole.
    If you really want a hole in them and you pay the postage both ways ill do it for you next week at no charge bud.
    Goose shootings not just for life ......its for christmas dinner
    Bolt handles,silencer adapters,safety catches,filler caps,Brass Trigger guards for most guns and more

Drilling stainless.
    Centre punch to give you an accurate position.
    Set the drill to low speed high torque.
    Drill with lots of pressure and don't back off until you're through.
    TBH you would struggle with a hand drill, even in a stand, because the drill will be wanting to spin up fast.
    I use a drill press in the lowest gear and I hang off the lever whilst drilling.

Drilling stainless steel is like making love. nice and slow and plenty of lube and make sure you have a decent bit

Drilling stainless is no problem, it is a tough metal but not hard in standard offerings. I made this tool out of stainless for stripping Daystate yesterday, heavy gauge and heavy curvature.Always centre pop first, slow the speed down or the drill will turn blue and lose its edge quickly. Used standard drill.

Baz

BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

At work if we have a stainless job on we only use cobolt drills as it is very easy to blunt a hss drill resulting in heating the metal up and hardening it and then you will be buggered.

Or you could just adjust the screw by using your finger and thumb like I do !...

salisbury is offline I keep smiling because they haven't found the bodies
    Stainless Steel seems to fill people with dread when it comes to drilling it. It really is nothing to stress over, just keep the bit sharp.
    I think only one person has suggested using some form of cutting lube, which is obligatory if you want to spare the drill bits; I use Tallow oil or Turpentine.
    who I am: http://www.facebook.com/artemisengineering.uk
    What I do: R&D, Prototyping, Artemis Razorback.

Quote Originally Posted by ELMOR FUDD View Post
    You can adjust the trigger screw with out the guard on if your carefull then refit after your happy and then you dont need to drill a hole.
    If you really want a hole in them and you pay the postage both ways ill do it for you next week at no charge bud.
    Thanks for the kind offer Elmor.

I think I'll just leave them alone.
    Arthur