Thread: HW100, still having problems

Holywell, North Wales (twinned with Trumpville)

HW100, still having problems

Still having problems with my HW100.

Started out by pinching up the barrel retaining screw (the barrel was rotating slightly when removing the moderator). It was suggested that I might have damaged the 12x1mm seal. Stripped the gun, replaced the seal. Also replaced the small seal on the regulator input where the cylinder goes into the main body.

Putting the gun back together, it seems like the air is not getting from the cylinder, into the regulator body. When tightening the cylinder, there is no hiss as it seals. Also, when removing the cylinder, the is only the slightest of hisses (nothing like the amount the first time I removed it).

The gun cycles properly, it's just that there is no air in the system.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
    Les
    Is there such a thing as owning too many guns?

The one I fixed that was like that, had the reg' half full of water and rusty belville washers.

Are you a pumper or a diver?

Neither!

It seems as though the cylinder isn't letting the air out into the reg

Looking at you last thread, did you check out to see if the last post was causing air refill issue?
    Don’t confuse luck with ability.

Yeah I checked the threaded part that the cylinder screws into, it appears tight, and flush ( maybe slightly below) the face where the cylinder screws onto.

I purchased some uprated O ring seals for the cylinder seal, they seem quite a loose fit on the regulator input, I think that could be the problem. I've ordered some more "original" O rings to see if that cures the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by learningcurve View Post
    Neither!

It seems as though the cylinder isn't letting the air out into the reg
    How'd you get air in it without a pump or a dive cylinder?

That might be your problem!

Seriously though - Doing a bit of a Google, you must have a blockage somewhere... likely a bit of old cylinder o-ring stuck in or near the main valve...

Although you could be right, and the blockage could be in the cylinder valve, not in the gun... can you tap the outlet valve pin with a punch to test that?

If the cylinder is OK, can only suggest stripping the gun apart, following the flow of air, cleaning the airways out very carefully as you go and replacing o-rings... Starting with stripping the main valve apart and pusing a pin through the tiny hole in the middle...

When fixed, you can fit this: http://www.hw100tuning.co.uk/1_x_Pol..._11111121.aspx to avoid further bits of cylinder o-ring debris getting in the gun.

Sent you a PM,, Had this problem with another gun,the lad who`s gun it was ended up changing the small valve ,this was after (us) changing the valve with a known good one,(mine) and we couldnt work out what was wrong with the valve,but it cured the problem.
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

have you changed the O ring in the regulator inlet valve?

If so replace the old one and try again.

I've now replaced the o ring on the inlet valve, and the 12x1 o ring seal, still no joy. Ive tapped the pin on the cylinder, air is coming out ok. I guess the next job is to strip the inlet valve out

If the reg is not filling then the usual culprit is the o-ring that the ball sits on in the inlet valve, but this problem usually appears when you fit a new ring, sometimes the tolerance on the piston pin that opens the valve is such it cannot lift the ball off the ring, try a new o-ring but keep the old one, then re assemble very carefully making sure all the components are nipped up correctly flush with their fitted locations.

I'm not as familiar with the hw100 as some people and I would follow their advice first, but a couple of suggestions -

If some air leaks when you remove the air cylinder it suggests some air is entering the first chamber but not getting into the regulator.
    1) Inlet Valve (pw240), check the ball bearing and spring are installed in the correct direction.
    2) Regulator - Is the regulator adjusting screw turned in enough to push the regulator piston (pw241) against the inlet valve ball bearing, or have your disc springs collapsed/fractured or missing.