Thread: Gaining Squirrel shooting permission

Gaining Squirrel shooting permission

Hi there folks.

I've decided to focus on getting some squirrel shooting permission. I've eaten the meat in the past and really like it, and just seen a bit on Jamie Oliver's show about squirrel meat which has convinced me to get a squirrel permission if I can. I've got three rabbit permissions which I have been shooting regularly for over 2 years now, but there's no squirrels on them.

I'm going to get out knocking on doors in the up coming weeks, but just after some advice on which landowners to target - I'm thinking orchard owners might be one. What type of permissions do you lads shoot your squirrels on?
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Mixed woodland with open pasture - and plenty of treelines for the squirrel traffic...

good luck with this one.

I have a permission here in Shropshire, 1000 acres filled with tree rats and deer, the land owner also has a game shoot. I control the squirrel and leave them for the buzzards and foxes, he would rather have them eating the squirrel I shoot, rather than taking his pheasants.
    Before this I used to do the same on another permission 1500 acres and again the land owner hated them with a passion because of the damage they did to his very old trees.
    Can any of your permission owners recommend you?
    Do you know anyone that picks up or beats on a shoot?
    Do you know of areas where they are in abundance?
    I once left my name with the local council offering my services, because they did not offer pest control
    All the best in your search.
    As you will hopefully find out they are the ultimate pest and you will need to be on top of your game to hunt these successfully, only head shots with a sub 12lbs air rifle will suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by ginger tom View Post
    only head shots with a sub 12lbs air rifle will suffice.
    Totally agree - they're tough little critters...

Quote Originally Posted by danco1987 View Post
    Hi there folks.

I've decided to focus on getting some squirrel shooting permission. I've eaten the meat in the past and really like it, and just seen a bit on Jamie Oliver's show about squirrel meat which has convinced me to get a squirrel permission if I can. I've got three rabbit permissions which I have been shooting regularly for over 2 years now, but there's no squirrels on them.

I'm going to get out knocking on doors in the up coming weeks, but just after some advice on which landowners to target - I'm thinking orchard owners might be one. What type of permissions do you lads shoot your squirrels on?
    A lot of clued up people are keen to get rid go Grays, simply knock on a lot of doors looking half sensible and being very polite and honest
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Thanks guys. I'll ask the landowners I shoot for currently to see if they know anyone. If not, I'll try the local estate gamekeepers. Hopefully I'll come across someone who really wants rid.
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Yes i saw the program and thought the same thing ,he said there wasted and put into land fill? any one one what thats all about as has already bin said they are hard to kill so how are they killed if not shot.

Quote Originally Posted by mr dink View Post
    Yes i saw the program and thought the same thing ,he said there wasted and put into land fill? any one one what thats all about as has already bin said they are hard to kill so how are they killed if not shot.
    Stand between the trees, as they try to jump across you hit 'em with a cricket bat!

Usually it means stalking carefully and quietly or sitting by feeders until they get well within range. They're difficult but not impossible. Practice makes perfect.

Its already been stated but only a head shot will stop them from dissapearing into the ivy or making off over the branches . No doubt they die later from blood loss but that doesn't help you much if you want to eat them and whether they are vermin or not they still deserve to be dispatched cleanly . I have never eaten squirrel but a elderly gent who lives near me gladly takes the ones I shoot for food . If you get permission on land with a good number of squirrel it might be worth setting up feeding stations . A friend of mine set up two feeding stations in about 8 acres of mixed woodland. he waits at the first and after shooting a squirrel that has come for a easy meal he moves off to the second station and shoots there before returning to the first . He does very well using this method . It might also help to keep the things still for long enough to get a accurate shot away .All the best with gaining permission .

Squirrel call

Get a bellow's type Squirrel call and they will come to you. also used to have a tail attached to the front of my rifles sling [only used on privet land]. between the call and the tail it would drive them nuts lol

Drey poking looks like an effective squirrel control method, I'm not sure how much meat would be left for eating though!