Thread: Newbie airgunner!!hi!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Red face Newbie airgunner!!hi!!

Evening all been sculling about this fantastic site for a good while and love it, such a font of useful knowledge and a great group, purchased my first half decent springer around 6 months ago for a chap off here and a few days ago my second (a pcp) and hope to drastically improve my shooting. Here's a few shots of my current rifles.
    [img][/img]
    Bsa lightning xl on the right with a Saber 4-12x42ao scope in 177 and my new bsa ultra single shot with Hawke HD 3-9x40 ao/ir scope again in 177.

Cheers

Tom
    Last edited by Ryder666; 30-10-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Hi Tom,

Enjoy the forum and your toys!

And, if you didn't know, I'm boinging mad, me!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

certanly am enjoying the toys lol the lightning has put 6 rabbits on the table to date and i hope to put more on it with the ultra, fantastic little rifle, bought it with a synthetic stock and bought a beach one for it strait away, hate plastic stocks makes them look like toys that they are not, i need some work doing to the lightning though its got a horrible shot cycle to it, frustrating twangy thwack that scares everything off!

Tom

Lightning, mmmmm......

You WILL be able to make it better, but there are better options out there.

However, the Lightnings look lovely and handle very nicely, too. So, if you are committed to sticking with it, a sensible tune will make it much more refined.

If you can make them yourself, properly fitting spring guide and top hat will transform the firing cycle. The addition of a piston sleeve (if there is clearance) will help further and prevent and spring lube from migrating into the compression area.

If you are unable to do this yourself, you will be able to obtain a quality spring, with matching guide and top hat from V-Mach....maybe ask for the piston sleeve at the same time?

Then, a careful strip, de-burr and re-lube will transform the gun with the new, bespoke internals fitted.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

The thought of opening up the lightning is a scary one, i have no idea how to retain the spring if i was to start! I have seen the v-mach kits out there and the price is reasonable, but I would rather have some one with experience to assist me with stripping it down, I'm also tempted to have a reg fitted to the ultra as I here that it makes a huge difference to shot count and consistency of the gun.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Ryder666 View Post
    The thought of opening up the lightning is a scary one, i have no idea how to retain the spring if i was to start! I have seen the v-mach kits out there and the price is reasonable, but I would rather have some one with experience to assist me with stripping it down, I'm also tempted to have a reg fitted to the ultra as I here that it makes a huge difference to shot count and consistency of the gun.

Tom
    Doing the Lightning wouldn't be hard, but if you're not sure / wary, maybe better to leave.

Steve Pope of V-Mach has a list of recommended fitters on his website - maybe one of those may be convenient for you?

Or a nice, knowledgeable tuner on the BBS may be able to undertake this little tune?

As regards the reg, I'm no PCP expert, but I think Darrin at XTX Air is maybe the man to talk to?