Thread: Remington Express - first impressions and basic tuning / mods

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    The trigger is two stage, and somewhat adjustable. You need to remove 1 or 2 of the spaces washer from the first stage/engagement adjustment towards the front to get it sensible. Not a patch on a rekord/CD I'm afraid, but perfectly usable. Trigger housing is die cast, steel nut insert for main stock screw, retained with a couple of steel crosspins. Trigger was completely dry, so lubed it up.
    Jon,

Regarding the trigger, I changed the normal screw for a grub screw with a lock nut - this allows far more precise setting than the washer system. While I had the trigger in bits I also polished the middle/lower sear engagement surfaces and re-assembled with a smear of moly paste. I also altered the angle on the upper surface of the trigger blade that gave a bit more first stage travel.

The overall result of this bit of work has brought the trigger to being very close to Rekord standard. I think with a better quality replacement trigger blade I think it would near equal the Rekord.

I have to say for the cost of the rifle I am very impressed with it, and with a little home tuning it is turning into a really good gun.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Sounds like a good mod

Apparently HW blades do fit these, so a set back HW blade would be ideal...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

The HW blade would need to be modified as the Express trigger axis pin is bigger in diameter.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    The HW blade would need to be modified as the Express trigger axis pin is bigger in diameter.
    And a bit needs filing off the face to get 1st stage. I did mine after reading up and it took about 30mins to complete and well worth it.

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Too late to be of use if you've already bought a wood stocked version, but the Express is also available with a Synthetic stock which seems very durable and slimmer round the pistol grip. I changed the thick recoil pad for a thinner one I had lying around and that improved lop no end! As said above, fit a HW blade and you instantly get a vastly improved 2 stage trigger.

Mine was running hot, so I stripped and cleaned it out (loads of swarf inside) de-burred it and fitted a welsh willy kit. Now utterly superb. I would defy anyone to tell the difference between it and a HW now!
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk