Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington Express - first impressions and basic tuning / mods

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

Remington Express - first impressions and basic tuning / mods

Just got hold of one of these in .177 - secondhand, but only a few weeks and less than a tin of pellets old. The price was too good to turn down
    Not much written about them, so here's my 2c.

NB I've no intention of doing any more than very basic tuning on this, as I feel it's missing the point with a budget gun to invest 20 hours of tuing and machine time !

Overall Impression
    Decent looking, full size gun. Well finished on the bits you can see, decent bluing. Nice looking chequering and stock seems quite decent.
    Firing cycle is fairly civilized, but there is some recoil and movement. No real twang, and pretty quick. Not as good an 99, quite similar to a 95. Accuracy from a quick test was around 1/2" at 30 yards. Scope rail grooves slightly wider than usual.

Stock & trigger
    Cheekpiece is slightly low, LOP is slightly long, and trigger reach is also a fair bit too long - a set back blade is really needed here. Trigger blade is metal, guard is plastic. The trigger is two stage, and somewhat adjustable. You need to remove 1 or 2 of the spaces washer from the first stage/engagement adjustment towards the front to get it sensible. Not a patch on a rekord/CD I'm afraid, but perfectly usable. Trigger housing is die cast, steel nut insert for main stock screw, retained with a couple of steel crosspins. Trigger was completely dry, so lubed it up.

Stripping
    Only noteworthy bit is how to remove the safety. First cock the trigger. There is a tiny grub scrub underneath the safety - remove this, then remove the tiny spring, then knock down the pin inside (just needs to move down a bit, not all the way out - it's tiny, don't lose it)- this then allows the safety to be removed. Then shove the end block down and push out the two pins.

Innards
    Delrin guide, quite a loose fit on the spring. Very little preload, around 1/2". Piston sleeve. Spring chopped, end finished but not collapsed, around 3.0mm wire. Quick chrono tests showed that 7.9 gr JSB were nearly 1FP more than 8.3s, so quite a lot of bounce - this gun needs more spring preload to dial out that bounce. Spacing the existing spring was out, as power with 7.9s was 11.5 Also I didn't like how loose it was on the guide, so I replaced the spring with a longer, less stiff spring, to get more preload, without more power. Bounce has now almost gone, but power is barely 11. Shot cycle clearly better. However, when I add a TH, this will come perfect.

There is a TH type affair (very short ~ 1.5mm) built into the piston, but it is made for a larger spring ID, so doesn't work. So I'm going to make a new v. short TH (the main guide is long) with a recess for the existing "TH".

The seal showed some slight assembly damage where care hadn't been taken when pushing it over the various cut-outs in the tube - they were not burred or sharp, it was just carelessness.

Specs
    Piston weight is 270g. Bore is 28mm, seal is diana esque. Stroke is just under 90mm , port is 4mm dia, AND A WHOPPING 24MM LONG.

Piston is clearly fairly weighty, but as I'm suffering bounce, I can't really reduce it. So left as it. Downside is you do feel some recoil. Ideally, knocking ~7mm off the stroke would be the way to go.

Misc
    Cocking link is articulated, and incorporates a little roller wheel to run along the cylinder, so no gaulling worries. The lever was a bit loose within the breach block, so I shimmed it each side. The wheel is the same, will shim that too. Doesn't really matter, just nice for it to be tight and smooth.

The barrel lock up looks exactly like the FWB sport (124/7) arrangement,

Summary
    It's not better than a 99; specifically, the piston is too heavy, the bore is too large, the stroke is too long, and the trigger is way inferior. However, with a modicum of basic tuning (lube, new longer, softer spring, new delrin or ally short TH), it is good, and for the price (about £120 new), even untuned, it's really impressive.

It's hard to know what to compare it to, because at it's price, not much competes. It's also not really a junior/lads gun as it's just too big in terms of trigger reach and LOP. A small proportioned version would make sense as a teenagers gun bearing in mind the budget price.

Hope this is of interest - JB
    Last edited by Shed tuner; 02-11-2014 at 06:37 PM.

I've obviously read a few reviews, as have most springer enthusiasts. And there have been a few complimentary comments on here, too, Jon.

But, when a chap who is held in such high esteem as your good self writes up a review, it makes your ears prick up and listen.

Thank you for this.

Honest, concise, detailed. And just the sort of info that most of us fans actually want to see, regarding build quality, internal dimensions etc.

I suppose the guns we have to compare it to have to be various SMK offerings, like the 18/19 and SYNSG.

And, also, that other value for money little belter, the Hatsan 55/60. I'm guessing the Hatsan will win the trigger honours, with the Quattro unit?

You coming to play at Mick and Shirl's next weekend?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

The trigger blade is metal not plastic, ARC Tuning have made a set back trigger for the Express as fitted to the ARC AR1 Remington.
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

Hi Jon.
    That's a good review,and I'm glad you did it,because I was considering a trade-in for one.However,if it's too long in pull and trigger reach it counts it out for me.
    Thanks for taking time to review it.
    ATB Owen

Review

Nice review Jon, very comprehensive
    Was the 1/2" @30yds before you tuned or after?
    Ta
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by venoman View Post
    The trigger blade is metal not plastic, ARC Tuning have made a set back trigger for the Express as fitted to the ARC AR1 Remington.
    Hmm, mine looks and feels plastic.. might have to give it a little scratch and see.. cheers for the info on the set back, will see what google comes up with...

BTW You must know - will an HW trigger guard fit ? Not got an HW to try it, but I'm sure you will have !

Quote Originally Posted by Nickos View Post
    Nice review Jon, very comprehensive
    Was the 1/2" @30yds before you tuned or after?
    Ta
    Nick
    Before, but it was quite hold sensitive and so this was beenbag rested very carefully. Going to do the "after" when I make my TH at the weekend... I'm hopeful that stopping the bonce should significantly improve hold sensitivity..

Interesting thoughts and comments on what appears to be a gun that although a bit rough around the edges, is well priced and even looks half decent.
    I reckon the group size will be much improved following your fettling session!
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Added some details; confirmation the trigger blade is indeed metal, and the trans port is a huge 24mm long

Just bought one of these , may ask for your advise in the new year regarding tweaks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    The trigger is two stage, and somewhat adjustable. You need to remove 1 or 2 of the spaces washer from the first stage/engagement adjustment towards the front to get it sensible. Not a patch on a rekord/CD I'm afraid, but perfectly usable. Trigger housing is die cast, steel nut insert for main stock screw, retained with a couple of steel crosspins. Trigger was completely dry, so lubed it up.
    Jon,

Regarding the trigger, I changed the normal screw for a grub screw with a lock nut - this allows far more precise setting than the washer system. While I had the trigger in bits I also polished the middle/lower sear engagement surfaces and re-assembled with a smear of moly paste. I also altered the angle on the upper surface of the trigger blade that gave a bit more first stage travel.

The overall result of this bit of work has brought the trigger to being very close to Rekord standard. I think with a better quality replacement trigger blade I think it would near equal the Rekord.

I have to say for the cost of the rifle I am very impressed with it, and with a little home tuning it is turning into a really good gun.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Sounds like a good mod

Apparently HW blades do fit these, so a set back HW blade would be ideal...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

The HW blade would need to be modified as the Express trigger axis pin is bigger in diameter.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    The HW blade would need to be modified as the Express trigger axis pin is bigger in diameter.
    And a bit needs filing off the face to get 1st stage. I did mine after reading up and it took about 30mins to complete and well worth it.

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Too late to be of use if you've already bought a wood stocked version, but the Express is also available with a Synthetic stock which seems very durable and slimmer round the pistol grip. I changed the thick recoil pad for a thinner one I had lying around and that improved lop no end! As said above, fit a HW blade and you instantly get a vastly improved 2 stage trigger.

Mine was running hot, so I stripped and cleaned it out (loads of swarf inside) de-burred it and fitted a welsh willy kit. Now utterly superb. I would defy anyone to tell the difference between it and a HW now!
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk