Thread: Conflicting load data.

Conflicting load data.

What do you do when you get conflicting load data

With the total absence of my powder of choice, Bullseye, I have been looking into other powders, my local RFD stocks Lovex (rebadged accurate)

I picked up some D032 (accurate #2), D035 (accurate #5), D037-1 (accurate #7) and D037-2 (accurate #9) I also picked up the load guide for Lovex powder.

I am loading .357 Mag with 158g TC GM Hard Cast, the recommended loads in the Lovex guide are as follows

D032 6.2g to 6.9g

D036 10g to 10.8g

D037-1 10.3g to 11g

D037-2 13.1 to 15.4g

Now, according to the Lee loading guide, which I have used for some time give VERY different loads

D032 no data

D036 8g to 9g

D037-1 9.1g to 10.1g

D037-2 112 to 12.4g

Now my first thought would have been that maybe the powder has changed a bit from going from accurate to Lovex, but as the tubs I have are accurate tubs with Lovex labels stuck over the top of the original I doubt this is the case.

So my problem is, I have loaded some test rounds using the Lovex data but even the minimum load is more then the max load in the Lee load data, and I have just found a pdf on the web of the original accurate loads and they match the Lee data.

What do I do, pull all the test loads and re-load using the Lee, I am guessing that will be the safe thing to do.

Not sure what to do.

Dave
    It’s sometimes best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid rather than open your mouth and dispel all doubt…

why not pull a couple readjust and see how they do first

i dont know alot about reloading but better to go with the lower amount and then if that does not work you havent pulled all your loads apart

If it was me I would load with the Lee data to start. If there's no, or little, pressure signs. Then carry on slowly up the scale of the lovex data.
    Check with chronos as you go will give you a better idea on whats happening.

Have a look on steves page as well.

Quote Originally Posted by activeviii View Post
    If it was me I would load with the Lee data to start. If there's no, or little, pressure signs. Then carry on slowly up the scale of the lovex data.
    Check with chronos as you go will give you a better idea on whats happening.
    +1, although always worth being honest with yourself and thinking "do I have any need to work up to the heavier loads?"

Yep, thanks guys, I sort of guessed the answer will be to start again at the lower loads and err on the side of caution.

But if that Lovex data is wrong, that is very bad of them to put that into print as it quite a bit out.
    It’s sometimes best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid rather than open your mouth and dispel all doubt…

I would use data from the bullet manufacturers book first above date from the powder manufacturer or other generic source

Mark
    My karma ran over your dogma

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Interesting differences. Firstly note that the Explosia load data does not specify a minimum load, it gives a recommended load and maximum load, and Western Powders give a starting and maximum load (irrelevant to the post but let's be sure to read load charts properly)

I suspect that the differences are down to the difference between US (Lee and Accurate) and Czechoslovakian (Explosia) attitudes to risk, the US being notably litigation prone. Note that Lee are probably only using Accurate (Western Powders) data anyway - I would be very surprised if Lee did their own powder testing.

So, who do you trust - a reloading supplies manufacturer, or the manufacturer of the powder you are using? I would go with the powder manufacturer every time.

Having transitioned from using Accurate #2 to Lovex D032 I found absolutely no discernible difference between the two. I am reliably informed that Accurate powders were anyway made by Explosia and Lovex D032 came about when they had a falling out.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

The bullet manufacturers actually use different powders with their bullets, imagine how many different manufacturers and different bullets the powder manufacturers would have to try. I don't think they would take the time to be honest.

That said when I contacted Berger about a load for N160 with their 210gr Match VLDs (before their reloading manual was issued) Walt Berger contacted me and gave me data generated using Quickload software, so nothing would really surprise me any more

MArk
    My karma ran over your dogma

If your using commercially made bullets it's worth Lookig at the bullet makers data as they will have done extensive testing with their bullets and different powders but always use the powder makers latest data as a base as they will have taken into account changes to the powder recipe and how it works (for example burn rate)

Rick.
    It's not my faulty, I was just.....

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    If your using commercially made bullets it's worth Lookig at the bullet makers data as they will have done extensive testing with their bullets and different powders but always use the powder makers latest data as a base as they will have taken into account changes to the powder recipe and how it works (for example burn rate)

Rick.
    Yup. That's why there is a new, and even more expensive, loading data handbook every year....

tac

Well I loaded some test rounds using the data from the old accurate load data, which matched the Lee book and just got back from shooting.

Got some very encouraging results, all of them performed really well, the D037-1 and D037-2 (accurate #5 and #9) gives quite a hefty kick, but the group size, although about 5 to 6 inches lower than the D032 (accurate #2), which gave the same results as Bullseye, was very small, even smaller than the Bullseye. (all shot at 25 yards)

So I think some more test loads will be in order. But with the amount of kick it was giving I am not sure I want to test at the load values that Lovex are listing

The bullets I am using are GM hard cast, I have not found a website for them or any manufactures load data.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    Well I loaded some test rounds using the data from the old accurate load data, which matched the Lee book and just got back from shooting.

Got some very encouraging results, all of them performed really well, the D037-1 and D037-2 (accurate #5 and #9) gives quite a hefty kick, but the group size, although about 5 to 6 inches lower than the D032 (accurate #2), which gave the same results as Bullseye, was very small, even smaller than the Bullseye. (all shot at 25 yards)
    I'm very new to this so I might be wrong, but my bottle of D036 says it used to be called Accurate #5
    I'd also like to find load data by GM Bullets, but I expect I'd get yet again another figure

The Lee data is from the Western Powders Reoading & Load Data Guide. Doesn't help much.