Thread: FWB 127 tuning tips

FWB 127 tuning tips

Morning all

I have picked up a nice FWB 127. Its in good condition, shoots well and the spring has got moly on it so I am sure the previous owner has had it apart and given it a home tune.

It is doing up to 11.75 and I want to drop it to about 11 so I was thinking of removing a coil from the spring.

I know tuning is a dark art only understood by minions of the devil but should shortening the spring also reduce recoil.
    These springs are reputedly long so I am sure there would still be plenty of pre-load left.

I also wanted to add a piston liner and check the piston seal and maybe order a new one if needed.

Does this sound like the way to go?

This: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...?sort=6&page=1 may be of help.

Whilst its apart I, personally, would change the piston seal as the originals do tend to transform into a hard cheese type consistency with age.

Great rifles.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    This: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...?sort=6&page=1 may be of help.

Whilst its apart I, personally, would change the piston seal as the originals do tend to transform into a hard cheese type consistency with age.

Great rifles.

HTH
    Ian
    thanks for that Ian

Yep, fit a new seal, but make sure it has a thin lip on it. I bought one, (from Maccari,) which was way too tight, and such a loose fit on the piston, I couldn't spin it to size it. If its the original spring, you need a spring compressor, cos of the huge preload. Replace it with a shorter one, there are a few kits available. Make sure you fit a cable tie round the safety as you remove the trigger block, or you may damage the safety, and lose the spring. There's a good guide somewhere, try Google.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    There's a good guide somewhere, try Google.

Gus
    Ahem.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

124/127

B.B. Pelletier (Tom Gaylord) has written a massive series of blogs (15 parts) about his journey tuning a 124, and much of it is relevant to the 127, especially the disassembly and what he did to the springs regarding 'tar'. You can find part 15 at http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2011/...u-124-part-15/ and use the links at the top to go back for the other parts, as his blog does not do links to forward articles.

I love my 127, so I'm going to follow this with interest...

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

Thanks gents.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Curlyone View Post
    Morning all

I have picked up a nice FWB 127. Its in good condition, shoots well and the spring has got moly on it so I am sure the previous owner has had it apart and given it a home tune.

It is doing up to 11.75 and I want to drop it to about 11 so I was thinking of removing a coil from the spring.

I know tuning is a dark art only understood by minions of the devil but should shortening the spring also reduce recoil.
    These springs are reputedly long so I am sure there would still be plenty of pre-load left.

I also wanted to add a piston liner and check the piston seal and maybe order a new one if needed.

Does this sound like the way to go?
    Maybe leave it cocked for 24 hours - can reduce power, sometimes doesn't, depends on spring
    JSB Lights can give high readings, if it's only going that high with the most efficient pellet, you might find it's on 11 already with something slower / different weight