Thread: A Diana with Scottish lineage??

Smile A Diana with Scottish lineage??

Getting bored and on the lookout for projects, waifs and strays I took a punt on this poor image.
    It was unnamed but since then and after some searching I believe it could be a Milbro 70 series, maybe a 79?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps86427554.jpg

According to the current owner, some thoughtful wizard had painted it aerosol black.
    The windage for the rearsight is missing the and it could be that the recoil pad is missing, or maybe never had one.
    He mentioned a calibre stamp on the breech and a number stamped into the stock forward of the trigger guard - 107G(maybe a 6? ))2
    It will be arriving next week.
    I like a lottery and am hopeful it will be worthy of resurrection.
    So beat me up for a poor decision or praise me; all criticism and enlightening comments are sought and welcome
    Cheers

I think you have that right (Milbro/Diana G79 or G80 - probably G79, which didn't have a recoil pad). Good luck with the project (getting the paint off the chequered stock should be a bundle of fun, especially if it's cellulose).
    Last edited by scrapman; 01-11-2014 at 09:56 AM.

Smile

Thanks for your post scrapman
    Until it arrives there is a bit of speculation but didn't the G80 have different sights? Or as is often common, and these were coming off the line during the decline of Milbro, were they using whatever was at hand?
    I have seen images with and without recoil pads so there is another curiosity.
    The checkering is a definite nod to the G79.
    Assuming it is a G79, how long was this model in production?
    And here is another; how are the date stampings interpreted, day,month,year or other?
    I hope to have more to tell later this week.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Yes G79. Two versions I am aware of one with a stamped trigger and one with a nice aluminium one (yours)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    Yes G79. Two versions I am aware of one with a stamped trigger and one with a nice aluminium one (yours)
    Thanks, so it's a flash jobby then Ollie? I presume ali trigger blade indicate a later production?

Is the trigger unit with the ali trigger blade different to those with the metal pressed triggers?
    And another; how are the date stamps interpreted?
    Last edited by slow_runner; 04-11-2014 at 06:57 AM.

Smile

It arrived this morning.
    The news so far is the date stamp is 10 72 1. Would that make it 1st October 1972 and an early production unit?
    I presume ali trigger blade indicate a later production?
    --- I got that bit wrong.

The good stuff is – the scope is in reasonable nick; it's a small 4 x 15 Hunter from Suwa Japan. it cocks and latches OK, the safety works, the bore and rifling looks good, using epoxy #4 thinners the paint comes off with only a bit of effort.
    The not so good stuff but not enough to worry about - the mainspring feels weak, the rear trigger guard wood screw is stripped, rear sight is incomplete, there isn't any evidence of stamping/etch on the receiver, the recoil pad is missing and the stock has been radiused where it would attach.

I'll post some clear images tomorrow.
    Still smiling
    Last edited by slow_runner; 05-11-2014 at 10:36 AM.

Smile

Navigating Photobuckets maintenance schedule was fun this evening.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps7c2ffe92.jpg

I spent an hour or so removing the paint with a blade. Over the next few days I'll get the stock clean an have a bash at steaming the dents.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps0d831881.jpg

Does anyone have clean images of the original sights and recoil pad that I can use? Thanks.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    CLEAR YOUR INBOX! ---yes I was shouting

It sounds like you have the decent trigger set up as the other is in a unit and relies on a washer to stop it from rocking.
    Milbro P-ssed about a fair bit with sights and changing things.
    My G78 has the spring steel rearsight and a plastic pushed over the barrel jobbie for a foresight like this https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24470/G79/

I think the G80 had the tunnel foresight like the Cougar.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    CLEAR YOUR INBOX! ---yes I was shouting
    Yeah, well I have industrial deafness AND I am tardy with my msg box, so thanks for getting my attention Guy
    The foresight on my example has the foresight the same design as my old G25, only with a heavier post that appears to be aluminium.
    The missing medallion will be near impossible to source so I'm thinking a Kiwi coin will fit the bill, maybe a threepence with the crossed mere. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ce_reverse.gif or the one cent may do http://cdn.coins-auctioned.com/uploa...1236842665.jpg
    Last edited by slow_runner; 09-11-2014 at 08:20 PM.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    While the G80s with the trigger block and plastic trigger are supposed to be the apogee of Milbro design (not that that says much, and they are not bad rifles, as long as the trigger block stays firm, I could never get on with the plastic trigger and I reckon the G79 is the best Milbro made ) bar the series 70 Model 71 (nice stock and decent safety).

Just in case you're not aware of the circumstances, Millard Bros (Millbro) took over the name/machinery/parts/drawings of Dianawerk as part of the reparations for World War 2. They made the Dianas up in Scotland, and also sold some models in the US labeled as Daisy's.

When Dianawerk re-commenced making airguns they used the name "Original" (to imply that they were the original Diana's). In 1982 Millbro went bust and Dianawerk got their brand name back.

I may have a rear sight for this rifle in my spares box. (I was sorting this out the other night - hence my HW open sights advert on here. ). I will have a check when I get home and if I have you can have it f.o.c.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I may have a rear sight for this rifle in my spares box. (I was sorting this out the other night - hence my HW open sights advert on here. ). I will have a check when I get home and if I have you can have it f.o.c. HTH Ian
    A big thanks for your generous offer Ian; that is appreciated
    I'll keep my legs crossed for the good news

Now don't go getting the wrong impression. It's that I need my fingers and hands for propelling the wheelchair

Question I could be crap out of luck with an original

Thanks for the background Mark. I have a Gecado and that was the other ID they used; nice stuff too.

Edit : I have come upon a clear image of the genuine rear sight. Now I'll recognise what is closest to the original.
    http://s36.photobucket.com/user/RedF.../g793.jpg.html

I.J has kindly offered a Gamo leaf sight that will be made to work with a little effort and I will accept his generous offer if something close by does not show soon. Thanks Ian.
    In the meanwhile I am digging all over for an original sight but no joy yet.
    While looking at images of the Cometa 50-300 series, I believe those sights might work as well .
    (I wonder if that was the same source for the Milbro units???)
    Images on the net would suggest it could be a tidy replacement too.
    If someone could post the centre distance between the fixed hole and that of the elevation screw. Also the hole diameters and blade width would be helpful.

The original blade I have here measures 36mm(1 27/64") centres with the hole dimensions - 4mm (5/32") fixed x 4mm slotted for the elevation. The blade is 11.2mm (7/16")wide.

Cheers.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 14-11-2014 at 01:15 PM.