Thread: 1906/07 5th Batch BSA makeover & blue…

1906/07 5th Batch BSA makeover & blue…

I acquired this old lady a while ago & have spent several weeks giving her a ‘Sympathetic’ make-over. What I mean by ‘sympathetic’ is cleaning her up & removing as much of the rust, spray paint & pitting as I can without losing the identity, factory marks & serial numbers. As you can see from the pictures she was in need of cleaning up to get her back to being looked after & used.

I took as many of the stock scratches out as I could without losing the factory stamp or leaving big dips. Now it is re-oiled to a satin finish.

All the metalwork, (screws, sights, loading tap etc.) has been cleaned up as much as I dare without leaving pot-holes or rubbing anything important out. She’s had a re-blue (cold blueing as there are over 20 parts to be done), new spring & piston washer. Now I won’t get covered in rust every time I use her, I won’t neglect the maintenance so hopefully she can be enjoyed for another 107 odd years. It’s been satisfying to do & will be enjoyable using her, which is what they were made for after all. Maybe not to every-ones taste but I like these old BSA’s especially as some models are becoming scarce. She is one of only 2000 made in December 1906 to January 1907, I wonder how many are still useable today…….

pictures below.... just click on the first picture then use the arrows for the next image....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127161...7648628226119/

Now that's what I call 'sympathetic'! Great job.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

That's a lovely job,well done!

Cheers for the compliment…. A labour of love, these old ladies deserve a bit of TLC as they are an important part of our history in air weapons..…
    Simon.

I'm not a fan of refinishing old guns but this has been done very well indeed - well done Sir!

John

Very nice job good work, I have a BSA 1906 stright stock. Marsh.
    Good deals with Eddiekneejerk, scirroco,Garvin, brownie,NeilLedger,NortonAMC,MadMike,Lodmoor,Jonny Mark,ogilkes,brdrew,averageplinker,canman,Pagoda1, boxman,beagle,clueless,RobMac,RobM,DaveJW,leroy02, JerryCornelius,jarrod,Alistair,jonno1972,Emsill and Stuart.

That's a very nice job you have done there, well done enjoy her.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I'm not a fan of refinishing old guns but this has been done very well indeed - well done Sir!

John
    As John says, nice job!....I think if the metalwork is not over polished on these older guns, ie. done as the factory would have prepared it, then after 3-4 years you would be hard pushed to tell it had been done unless you looked very closely.

Obviously if the gun is deeply pitted anywhere near any stampings it is a problem, but for the earlier pre photo etched guns it could work well, if the gun was more light rust than patina.

Trev in N.Z. likes to re-do any he has that are like this, I wish I could see one up close as in photos they look stunning

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tjm_45k/sets/

ATB, Ed

Great job. I have a lanes musketeer in much worse shape that will (someday) get similar treatment.

What did you use for the bluing?

Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

I’m not a great fan of re-finishing either but sometimes a decision has to be made I feel. I wanted to use this old BSA but every time I even put a drop of oil on any of the moving parts I got myself covered in rusty orange oil. So I decided that as I had to change the old BSA spring (broken), I would give it a complete overhaul.

I started out by doing as little but as much as it needed but was very aware that I didn’t want to take away the identity. I took the burr off any screws that needed it & cut as close to the lettering as was possible with the wet & dry before going over it with 0000 wire wool soaked in honing oil. As I now had 20 odd pieces to blue I opted for a home cold blue, (Birchwood Casey Purma Blue kit). I know this is maybe not favoured by some but needs must for me. As It was already in pieces I opted to put a new piston washer in as well as replace the broken spring. I’m not sure how long the finish will last but I will be keeping it well maintained & used.

I put 50 or so through her yesterday & it is very accurate, It won’t take long for the new leather washer to polish up but most of all I am very happy that I now have a presentable, working old BSA that will now be used again for years to come which can be identified at a later time should it need to be.

A couple of pictures below of the blueing paste Rich…. 3 applications on the barrel, chamber, screws etc. & 4 applications on the cocking levers as they needed it to match in.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127161...7/15687319121/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127161...7/15665522656/

Hi...

Very well done...It will look a great deal better in a couple of years time....Superb..!!!!

Regard's

Inproved... Steve...

Thanks for confirming what you used. I have been toying with cold fume blueing but with limited time and an airing cupboard full of towels and bedding permanent blue could be the way to go.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)