Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Umarex Walther PPK - Any tips?

Umarex Walther PPK - Any tips?

Hi chaps,

It looks like the missus has bought me a PPK for my birthday - only a couple of days until I unbox it!

Now, she hates guns. But, over the last few years, she has bought me a chrono, collected my HW40 for me. Bought me a 2240.

And now this.

Now, I've always loved the looks of them, but due to them shooting bbs, and not having a safe, wide open space to plink at cans etc., I'd always steered clear.

Apparently she's going to make some home made play dough (cheap) so I have a nice, soft and safe medium to point the stumpy little thing at.

I'm a total newbie to bb guns, so....

Can you only use steel bbs in these? I like the idea of lead bbs. Can they be safely used or am I being a total plonker in even considering them?

Not expecting any great shakes accuracy wise compared to all my other stuff, just up to about 6 yards plinking?

Any other tips re using / owning etc?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Yes, just BBs. As far as I can remember, needs to be steel as there's a magnet involved somewhere? Might be wrong, maybe a crosman.

But they're loads of fun and the blowback action gives added realism.

Cheers for that.

On my Ratties I always smear a small drop of Pellgun Oil onto the flat on the capsule. I assume it'll be good practice to do the same on these little puppies?

Having said that, when in fun mode, can't see capsules staying in there for very long!!!

If shooting in calm, deliberate mode, what sort of accuracy potential could be expected? Would 1" at 6 yards be dreaming?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Seem to remember that was around the group size, but a few fliers if you get a dodgy BB or shooting super-rapid.

Ppk/s

One inch grouping at 6 yards maybe optimistic There can be quite a bit of sideways wobble/play on the slide and that short barrel makes accuracy a challenge.

Even at 4 yards mine shoots very high...but once you get use to where it shoots it will be fine

Yes, a drop of Pellgunoil on say every 5th capsule should help keep the seals and valve working fine.

Keep your hand away from the slide - it's a viscious little b*gger. First time I tried one, the edges on the frame (NOT the moving slide) cut my hand...but I still bougth it

Get some spare mags (set of 3 available from JSR) and have fun.

Not sure about the lead bbs, they have a different diameter? Do not think any magnets are involved.

A cereal box filled with newspapers works fine with a target on the front.

After a short while mine failed to automatically cock the hammer. Turned out to be excessive friction under the slide where it resets the trigger mechanism; a bit of moly grease and a good old 'manual working in' sorted that out.

Excellent pointers, thank you. Especially the tips re frame/slide, thank you. I assume it'd all be in the manual, but obviously not opened yet.

Had already thought of using a cereal packet stuffed with newspapers and carpet at the back, but the wife insisted on making some play dough. Apparently, dirt cheap to do and I can re-use.

Might have to look into the DIY play dough.

Another useful one (for any bbs pistol) is a large piece of carpet with several targets taped on. Blast away, a couple of shots into a chosen area of each target and move on; quick acquisition and a bit of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    One inch grouping at 6 yards maybe optimistic
    Agreed!

Hitting a Coke can about half of the time at 5 yards (once you've sorted out where to aim), is about it.

And 'where to aim' is interestingly different, depending on how ofen you fire the thing, and how much gas is in there.

Great though. I used to keep one in my bedside drawer.

Kiss wife and thank her.
    Take pistol out and admire in front of her.
    Put it back in box with receipt.
    Take to shop and exchange for really any other small black bb pistol.

The PPK was one of the first and possibly the worst!

I say this in a caring way Tony as you are clearly a nice chap with a lovely wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    ....And 'where to aim' is interestingly different, depending on how ofen you fire the thing, and how much gas is in there...
    Oh yes, I forgot to mention that gem

At first I avoided the PPK/S as there seemed to be a lot of play on the slide (and thus the sights). But when they were on offer some months back for £57 brand new I jumped in. If you are interested in a fun replica as opposed to an accurate shooter then it fits that bill.

Watch out for the plastic magazines (made in two parts and seem a bit fragile at the top). It is a pity they have not improved the build standard over the years (metal magazine, better fitted slide, more authentic safety) but at the right price it's a fun gun. There are better made blowback pistols around, but not many (if any) quite as compact as the PPK/S.

I seem to remember reading somwehere that you can use lead bbs if the first (or last) one in the mag was a steel BB..? not sure where I read this but almost 100% it was in regards to a makarov
    Donald

I liked it

Maybe I just didn't expect too much from it.

Quote Originally Posted by humperdingle View Post
    I liked it

Maybe I just didn't expect too much from it.
    Me too, I knew what to expect...and so was not disappointed

It may be old but the reason the ppk is still there is because it's one of the best. It may have plastic mags, a plastic tab at the bottom etc. but the charm of this gun is in the truly snappy recoil, lovely solid feel , compact dimensions (smallest 12g co2 gun I believe) and the fact that it's bond's gun. You'll love it, don't take it back, know its limitations and I hear that you should use lead bbs as these shrink your groups sizes considerably apparently. Oh and do buy the spare set of 3 mags as you'll wish you did afterwards. Did I mention that it's probably among the most fun guns there is to shoot?

But you can only hit Bond villains with it!