Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diana mod 45 t01

Diana mod 45 t01

Hi guys,
    I've just recieved a mint 1991 diana45, in .22
    It's been hardly shot, so I plan on remedying this! I've put a few shots through her and shes very smooth...upon chrono'ing I found out why...shes only putting out 8fpe!
    So I stripped her down and she's bone dry..so guys what's recommended?
    A new spring?
    New guides?
    V mach kit?
    Cheers nick

Shooting

Just shoot the gun in, mate

Give it 1000 pellets, chrono, then come back here with your results.

(likely to be slightly higher).

Chrono 'results' are mostly total rubbish of course - Targets say it all !

'45

I gave the RWS 45 version of the above an airing on the weekend. It's in .177 (I also have the same in .22). Both have been converted over to ptfe piston heads with an increase in power and consistency (including top hats and guides). Both shoot extremely well. The .177 is especially nice and accurate.

However, as has been said it may be prudent to overhaul the gun, lubricate and run it in to get a feel for how it performs. Chrono it after a bit and then decide which way to go. That way I guess you can also make meaningful comparisons of it's standard and upgraded performance (aside of any power benefits).

The '45 is, as you are very probably aware, a springer classic and I am happy to take either of mine out in the field against all airgun quarry.

Post back here on what your outcome is? Will be interesting

Good luck
    Dave

Diana 45

Cheers guys,
    She's stripped down, all degreased-the pistons polished up
    But I didn't want to put back together if the springs shot!
    I'm not sure what spring to go for..
    With my 1992 hw85 mk1 I kept the original spring and piston seal and just added tinbums kit, and I've got to say that shoots vv nice.
    All help and opinions appreciated
    It would be easy to just buy a v mach kit, but what's best suited..
    Thanks
    Nick

If you are going to shoot it regularly then do the full tune. If for keeping mint then leave it alone beyond a lube, though a couple of washers might just bump up the old spring. Having said that its a later version with I believe the less complicated trigger and the Classic was an Original for the UK. They struggled to sell in the end as the competition became too fierce.

They are every bit as good as say a HW80. Some are true tack drivers. Enjoy.

Thumbs up Diana 45

Cheers musket
    I did think about adding a few washers, but I need 3fpe worth!
    It will get used...just rotated waiting for its turn!

In the beginning the HW3E was a bit iffy power wise; some too high and some too low though most were low. Then came the userper Original 45. They tended to come in too high power wise. Being heavu like a 35 copared to Webley or Bsa and a tad front heavy they tamed the spring and were more forgiving. The first had a Record matching trigger; later just a very nice one. Its the reason the HW80 and 77 came to being.

I enjoy mine. Many were abused so can need a bit of TLC. Some are beyond help. Get a good one and they are a joy. I like the long two stage trigger too.

Diana mod 45

The trigger unit popped out easily, it's still on factory settings, the blueing on the gun is very deep..nice
    Shame I'm a rear sight down, so I'll keep a look out for one...probably hard to find a mint one of those now!
    I wonder why the springs so weak? Maybe left cocked for a few years?i did expect I'd have to tame it down, not up!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    I gave the RWS 45 version of the above an airing on the weekend. It's in .177 (I also have the same in .22). Both have been converted over to ptfe piston heads with an increase in power and consistency (including top hats and guides). Both shoot extremely well. The .177 is especially nice and accurate.

However, as has been said it may be prudent to overhaul the gun, lubricate and run it in to get a feel for how it performs. Chrono it after a bit and then decide which way to go. That way I guess you can also make meaningful comparisons of it's standard and upgraded performance (aside of any power benefits).

The '45 is, as you are very probably aware, a springer classic and I am happy to take either of mine out in the field against all airgun quarry.

Post back here on what your outcome is? Will be interesting

Good luck
    Dave
    Dave, I am interested that you say the piston seal is PTFE as this material is soft and malleable and would change shape when hitting the end of the cylinder. Most piston seals are polyurethane which is tough and hard wearing.People have experimented with PTFE seals and find they extrude into the transfer port. I think the only area you could use PTFE is in a piston ring seal where there is no impact, so is your material a harder compound mix ? Would be interesting as urethane is not the easiest to turn complex shapes on the lathe.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 04-11-2014 at 09:32 AM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

My first 45 was tuned by venom , bought in 82/3 in . 22 it was fantastic out the box .
    I didn't realise how good until a decade latter comparing it too friends rifles and others I had.

At some point a decade ago or over I had venom tune it , Daves advise was don't remove the leather seal as it can be very consistent .

Rear guides are poor as with most so they made fitted new rear guide, new spring ,trigger spring replaced and trigger tuned .
    The rear cylinder was closed up slightly around the trigger carrier unit ,as you say came out easily .
    Debure spit polish and re lube .

I remember thinking just how good it was but somehow shot better after all but it was harder to cock which I think spoilt it slightly so some years latter I re fitted the original spring which was lighter ,yes fps dropped but was then just so sweet at 10.5 ft lbs as opposed to 12 venom set it at.
    All my other 45s run with the standard spring however re lubed after touching up .

I have latter m 45 versions with the synthetic seal which make the power a tad easier but somehow don't seem as nice as the early from 78 variant .

I do agree the 45 shouldn't be changed in such a way it can't be put back to o m spec as they are a real good classic really good.

My brother had his 45 v Mach tuned with pulse seal and a slightly longer stroke requiring shoe ajustment but is a very nice compromise at full power in .22 it's not too hard to cock and sweet as honey .

Still think the early wrap around fore sight unit model look really good. And bluing was superb deep blue .

Nice

Thumbs up Diana 45

Yes mines got a synthetic seal(blue)
    I can't really find out a great deal of info on this 45 t01!
    So for tuning It's either a vmach kit(though I don't think that's a stock item at bar)
    Or maybe get some tinbums guides and piston liner and preload the spring by 20mm???would that do the job?
    Cheers guys

IDE look at a better rear guide ,polish spring ends clean out re lube add forward pree load second sleve If needid and see how you go.

May be as well to check transfer seal as these go hard and due to barrel closed for storage can loose their seal.
    Tested easily with rizzler paper.

Diana 45 t01

Ok, I put in 2power washers at rear, and 2 metal washers at front,
    All lubed up.....shot 30 shots then chronoed it...6fpe!
    I changed the breech seal too, same power.6-6.5fpe
    I don't expect this to go up,
    So a new spring is needed..

So she was 8 initialy now 6 ?.
    With pree load and weight .

Check breech seal ,some sold to suit are pants and don't . I can p m correct size tomoz.
    My guess either breech or main seal is damaged.
    Did you debure slots on cylinder ?.
    Was seal cut prior to re install.
    Check crono too.

Strange to drop 2 ft lb