Thread: Black Powder firearms and muzzle velocity measurement?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks for all your help.

Tac, Turnup - you have both provided a great deal of helpful and common-sense information. Your comments reveal that both of you have read between the lines very astutely!
    I have enough to go on now, and believe that if necessary I can make a case for supporting certain BP activity if members wish it to be so. If a committee feels that BP is inappropriate for other reasons, then that's a different matter.
    Excellent advice from you all as usual. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    Tac, Turnup - you have both provided a great deal of helpful and common-sense information. Your comments reveal that both of you have read between the lines very astutely!
    I have enough to go on now, and believe that if necessary I can make a case for supporting certain BP activity if members wish it to be so. If a committee feels that BP is inappropriate for other reasons, then that's a different matter.
    Excellent advice from you all as usual. Thanks again.
    Come over one sunday and play with us - you'd be VERY welcome, so long as you bring muffins or some kind of English cake.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Come over one sunday and play with us - you'd be VERY welcome, so long as you bring muffins or some kind of English cake.

tac
    English cake??!!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    English cake??!!
    Yes, cakes of the kind made in England, lacking Welsh bara brith, a firm favourite with mrs tac [half-Welsh as she is]. Our local village store sells very fine cakes of all kinds made by a local lady, spunj of various types, frosted and/or glazed, chocolate, coffee and walnut and all that sort of thing. I call them English cakes because you don't find them in Papua New Guinea, Venezuela, Borneo or Finland, for instance.

As far as I know, Scotland is renowned only for its oat-cakes - with the consistency of the part of an ironing board that you rest the iron on, but with rather less flavour, they are not welcome in our gun club except as targets.

tac

By the way...

The rest of theignoring cakes and muffins for the time-being -

A .36cal BP revolver fires a .380" diameter ball at an average velocity of 800 fps.

The resultant m/e is 102.5 ft lbs.

A high velocity .22LR like the CCI Mini-Mag or Stinger, fires a 40gr bullet at ca. 1450 fps.

The resultant m/e is 186.8 ft lbs.

So even a .36cal BP revolver has substantially less 'oomph' than a Mini-Mag or Stinger, both of which are common or garden fare in most .22 clubs, especially if there is much shooting of the Ruger 10/22 - a gun that has a particular penchant for these higher-velocity .22 rimfire cartridges.

This rest of this post has been deleted as it is simply opinion and not really moot.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 05-11-2014 at 12:21 PM.