Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
I believe that .357 carbine should be permitted (if we consider it to be a c/f pistol calibre) as the max. permitted is .44. The stipulations regarding MV/ME are in the range safety certificate, so MV will have to be measured to ensure that neither criterion is exceeded.
I'm reading this again.

There is no 'consider' about it. The .357 Magnum was designed from the get-go as a revolver cartridge back in 1935. Same goes for the .44 Remington Magnum revolver cartridge, designed by Elmer Keith back in 1956.

NO BP handgun on the planet will equal the velocity of a 158gr .357 Magnum calibre bullet. It is therefore obvious, or should be to anybody who can count up to, including and possibly past the number of fingers on one hand, that shooting the same round from a carbine will produce even higher m/v than from a pistol, due to the increased powder burn time in the longer barrel.

If the range is cleared for .44 Mag, then very few BP rifles will get near the velocity of THAT, even shooting the lighter than usual 180 or 200gr bullet - as you know, the 'standard' for the .44 Magnum revolver cartridge is a 240gr something or other. As pointed out already by two of us, a ball fired from a .44BP revolver only weighs in at ca. 148gr.

tac

PS - among the things that you haven't told us is whether or not the range is indoors or open to the skies.