Thread: Contradiction in terms.

Contradiction in terms.

Pair of post war Black Webley Mk.1 pistol grips as described on Eb@y :
    They are in good condition but have chips out of the their corners as you can see.

edbear2 Guest
    Is that the same as "Mint condition before it went rusty"

ATB, Ed

Try the ads for old bikes.........I often fall about laughing when I read some of these.
    The ones that do it for me are where the bike is described as ' original condition, not messed with or modified etc' which then go on to list or worse, you pay them a visit and find (typically) 'fitted with stainless silencers and replacement fasteners, upgraded to 12volts with electronic ignition, new rims and tyres, later 2ls front brake, seat recovered......'
    You think I'm kidding, it's really that bad at times. Just where were these people educated?! Just what do they think 'original' means, and try telling some of them it's not as described. Just don't stand too close or your all original false teeth might take assisted flight...Caveat emptor every time.

Others for a bit of a laugh are 'barn finds'. Just how many bl@@@y old barns are there left undiscovered in this day and age. I wonder if they google...find me an old barn with a bike in it. Hmmmmmm. I might just try that.

And yes, it's the same with vintage airguns. I expect we all know of a few that are far worse than described.

Bit like a rifle restored to 'mint' condition!

Description

There's a Meteor stock on there at present. Good condition for age, slight marks.
    Its easy to see that it's cracked right across and badly glued.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

As Peter says, "in good condition for its age". What does that mean? "Crap, but it is soooo old, whadya expect?".
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Good for age

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    As Peter says, "in good condition for its age". What does that mean? "Crap, but it is soooo old, whadya expect?".

Yes people keep saying that to me! Gosh you are good for your age. All that really means is that I am still here.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!